Classic English Bike?!?!?!?!?

Jack... that is a seriously funny post :roll:

Flip, I have to go when I see yellow.

Some tools do last for several lifetimes. i have a small collection of antique hand tools that I've acquired over the years. They really aren't worth anything but I think they are neat. I have some very old Stanley wooden rulers that are just amazing. One slides open and is so precisely made it is hard to believe its made from wood.

I also have a Spartan 1/4 inch drive ratchet that I still use sometimes at work. The tool salesmen will come in and try to sell me a new ratchet they just came out with because it has such a small swing to it, something like 5 degrees or less. They can do that because they have like 80 teeth in the head. I pull out the Spartan and show that to them, it has like 200 teeth in the head. It has something like a 2 degree swing and is very useful in some tight spots. It is very old.

I also have some very oddball socket sets... pentagon drive. These must have been popular back in the 40's?

I also have these very freaky adjustable C clamps that have all these teeny tiny numbers on them...

Dang you guys got me going. I've got my grandfathers mechanics tools and you should hear the differance in sound when they hit the concrete floor over new ones. Isn't it a shame that they won't fit anything within a generation or three. Erik has some old woodworking stuff with the brass parts that I like the most. Mabey we will have some nice wood left when my grandsons my age.I've got about 100 board feet of walnut stashed in the attic for when he's old enough to appreciate it. I heard you guys used to burn walnut down there,is that true,I'ts just about nonexistent here. Oh the good old days eh. Jeeezz how will I feel if I make it to 80? Later Old Jack

back to the future:

I remember sometime ago, I visited the India Enfield factory in Bhopal (sic) India via their website. There were many pictures of not only the hand pinstripers (I think because Triumph had a picture of their pinstripers, India Enfield thought it was a good idea too). There were also pictures of the machine shop and assembly areas and interestingly, but predictably, the machining and assembly was utilizing old methods that are considered antiquated in the modern, computerized world we live in. No CNC, no DRO's, old machine tools with swarf and crud on the floor and the ever present big fake smile on the faces of the worker bees. Honestly, all that adds to the old world charm of the Bullitt. If India Enfield ever built a 750 vertical twin, I'd have one in a minute and I have to believe they wouldn't be able to build enough to satisfy the demand. However, I read somewhere around the time that I viewed the pictures that they are legally bound to just the 500 single and that's too bad. I'm not even sure if those pictures can still be viewed or if they exist.

Of course we all know that India produces motorcycle parts for the world, like the wire wheels for HD and various castings including (I think) the block for HD. India provides the castings for many Caterpillar diesel engines also. India isn't hamstrung by the environmental regulations and red tape that's turning our great industrial country into a service, fast food, Wally World economy.

If the Bullet wasn't such a wimpy ride, I'd consider one. To take one on the expressway here would be tantamount to suicide. You do have to admit though, the Bullet still retains the flavor of the Meriden Triumph Marque with some modern upgrades to improve the reliability. Besides, in the realm of things it very reasonably priced. That's why the IMZ/URAL is catching on in the world of sidecars, especially for the off road sidecar rider. URAL's are reasonably priced, come only as purpose designed bike/sidecar units and offer 2 wheel rear drive as a low cost option. They are aesthetically less than attractive but the price and the utilitarian nature of the beast makes up for it's lack of beauty. URAL's are another freeway suicide machine.

Back