Custom in ears are the way to go. You don't need the music too loud and it blocks out the wind. A good pair with dual drivers will run you about $200.00-$250.00.
are these available at most motorcycle rallies or do I need to buy them online and go through the process of making the molds myself then sending them back to have them finished

As you probably already know, the noise increase is due to the wind buffetting (sp?). Have you done anything to address the wind? Lowers? Windshield?

With that said, plastic helmets on average tend to be MUCH more susceptable to wind noise. Fiberglass helmets tend to fare much better. I've always worn fiberglass helmets and never had a problem with wind noise. However, I recently bought a Nolan N43E so that my wife and I could use the N-com system. It's a plastic helmet and it is EXTREMELY LOUD. So much so that it drowns out the com system.

I would suggest that you look for a fiberglass 3/4 helmet. One that comes to mind is the Scorpion EXO-200. My wife has one (her older helmet) and it was of excellent quality. Otherwise, you are looking at Shoei or Arai and I ain't paying that much for a helmet!! :eek:

Edit: we had the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 system fitted to our older fiberglass helmets and it worked fine.

are these available at most motorcycle rallies or do I need to buy them online and go through the process of making the molds myself then sending them back to have them finished

Most Audiologists can outfit you. Check with you're local hearing centre or ask around at a local music shop. You can do the online thing with someone like Ultimate Ears but the fitment might not be right. The best way to do it is to have someone fit you properly. It is pretty cool... they fill your ear with a resin, let it set, and then after checking the set, they make them up for you.

The guy I saw here in Calgary guarantees his moulds and the fitment. He also made me 2 sets of plugs. One has a changeable filter for different volumes and the others are solid which is great for when you're bunking with a loud snorer. I'd imagine it the closest thing to being deaf when these plugs are in. The filtered ones are great for concerts, etc.

If it has a headphone jack, just buy a pair if ipod earphones but get the ones that fit like earplugs. My wife and I listen to the ipod on long trips and share the headphones. I never use both because I also want to hear the surrounding traffic. You will be able to hear it just fine with that one earbud in your ear.

If it has a headphone jack, just buy a pair if ipod earphones but get the ones that fit like earplugs. My wife and I listen to the ipod on long trips and share the headphones. I never use both because I also want to hear the surrounding traffic. You will be able to hear it just fine with that one earbud in your ear.
I have a feeling you and I would be listning to the same kind of music. Which is why I want to do this

Using both does take some getting used to but once you get the volume control adjusted right hearing traffic isn't a problem...for me at least

I have the Nolan N104 helmet and I installed the Sena SMH 10. Outstanding bluetooth device. I have never had to crank up the volume, too loud. I ride with my earplugs and can hear my gps or music perfectly fine. I find that without the earplugs the sound lacks base, with the earplugs it sounds great.

I have custom molds ($650) and don't like the fit under the helmet - but in fairness - I purchased them as musician monitors - not the model for helmets. Sounds great but you need an inline volume adjustment as the Scala G4/G9 units are too broad of a volume adjustment...

I use an Arai helmet - no wind noise issues... and nothing like it - although I wish it had an internal flip down shield...

The BEST money you can spend for an in helmet intercom is less than $0.50 and makes all the difference in the world.... EARPLUGS!

Before I had the Arai - I used a HJC - decent helmet by anyone's standard but find it really noisy when dealing with wind. I wore earplugs and it cut ALL of the wind noise out. I cranked the volume a little so I could hear the intercom speakers but since they weren't fighting to be heard over the wind any longer - it was very easy to hear everything being said. Give it a try...

Remember, you only have one set of ears - PROTECT them.

Back