lionel

.060 Over
I have the short screen and get a lot of wind buffeting around the head that makes the ride distracting.

Took the screen off and found the buffeting was more on the body as expected, and not quite so bad around the head, but got a wierd feeling when looking left or right helmet seemed to "stick" a little in the air stream making turning head just that bit difficult.

Head down below the screen and silence, buffeting gone.

So looks like I either need a taller screen or possibly an air deflector to go on top of short screen.

Anyone know the height of the taller screens, or whether the deflectors work?

Thanks

That's a good question, I too have the FLY screen. I will see what answers come in.

I spent years annoyed by the buffeting of my 2005 Rocket. Made many inquiries to Triumph and got no answers. I purchased 5 windshields of all sizes with no results.
Turns out the buffeting was coming from under the windshield.
I installed the lower deflectors and the problem was gone. Plus I installed the Clearview GT23 windshield ( I’m 6’3”) with the vent. The combination has worked well.
I highly recommend the vent as the lower deflectors do add heat to the rider.

I think he's talking about the Summer Screen, not the fly screen. The Roadster screen is the taller screen, and Clearview makes taller and wider replacements for both set ups. I have tried the Roadster screen, with lowers.. and the Summer screen (sitting in my garage) and wasn't happy with either set up due to heat and buffeting. I have not tried a Clearview replacement though.

I have ridden with the fly screen for most of my 72K miles. It does actually knock quite a bit of the wind blast from the chest area. I wear an HJC Symax as my windshield, it seems to handle wind quite well.

Lowers help a lot with any screen. I am only 5'9" but have the Clearview 25" with lowers, no buffeting at all and very comfortable and quiet. I can even hear my stock exhaust. I have to sit up pretty straight to see over it though. The Roadster screen with lowers was ok, but the clearview was a big improvement.

FWIW, I also experienced fairly severe buffeting when I first bought my R3T. Know what solved the problem? :confused:A better helmet! :eek:

No kidding, my old leather halfie was the main reason the wind caused me so much grief. Maybe it was too large or too wide, but whatever the reason, it sure caught the wind!

I now have a taller screen with a vent, but sometime use the shorter summer screen, or none at all.

But I think it was the helmet that made the difference.

Them's my dos centavos!:)

FWIW, I also experienced fairly severe buffeting when I first bought my R3T. Know what solved the problem? :confused:A better helmet! :eek:

No kidding, my old leather halfie was the main reason the wind caused me so much grief. Maybe it was too large or too wide, but whatever the reason, it sure caught the wind!

I now have a taller screen with a vent, but sometime use the shorter summer screen, or none at all.

But I think it was the helmet that made the difference.

Them's my dos centavos!:)

I'll add my 2 pence in as well for a good helmet helping to eliminate the problem. I'm wearing an Arai Quantum II (full-face). Buffeting hasn't been an issue on my '05 even with the factory screen removed.

Now, eating too much at the local buffets (especially the Chinese or Mexican ones) is always a problem for me ol' waistline.:(

There's no buffeting without a screen; that's called wind. Buffeting is that awful drumming you get in your ears from rapid changes in air pressure caused by all screens, no matter what size. Some will keep the wind off more than others but they all buffet. Wind I can cope with - it's actually one of the features of riding a bike; buffeting I can't. :( I won't! :D

I've got an extremely long body had to get a piece of poly carbonate screen from local glass shop and cut a 5 inch taller windshield have on had it on their 4 years. I have got it so I just look over the glass stops a lot of the buffeting, but I agree with the lowers I put them on and I can wear a ball cap 70 mph. I am wanting a new Clearview with the vent and a set of Baker air wings, I figure that will shoot the better part of $500 in the head like I said they are on my wish list :D