I wondered how it had gone as they look a bit tricky to do. May need powdercoated?
I have the GT so black caps isnt going to work but need to do something as I'm far from happy how the brushed stainless is holding out after just 1200 miles.
I do apologise mate, I kept the others black but the Plasti coat on the fuel cap looked a bit naff cos I was on the dregs of my last tin, that's the beauty of Plasti, ya can just remove it without issue :)
Imo I actually prefer the silver but I think brass would look ace as well.
I'm definitely looking at getting a few things powder coated over winter, maybe I'll get them done as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_174322.jpg
    IMG_20200616_174322.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20200616_174344.jpg
    IMG_20200616_174344.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 94
Does anyone know if they ever offered the prior gen R3 in an all blacked-out version from the factory? They did it with the T120 Bonnie, and the Bobber Black, so I’m thinking it’s possible.

I really like the look, but one of the reasons I’m waiting is to see the colors for 2021. I said I’d wait until next year, anyway, but I wouldn’t want to splurge now, start painting on the small bits, and then have an all-matte or mixed matte and gloss black model come out next year.

Does anyone know if they ever offered the prior gen R3 in an all blacked-out version from the factory? They did it with the T120 Bonnie, and the Bobber Black, so I’m thinking it’s possible.

I really like the look, but one of the reasons I’m waiting is to see the colors for 2021. I said I’d wait until next year, anyway, but I wouldn’t want to splurge now, start painting on the small bits, and then have an all-matte or mixed matte and gloss black model come out next year.
The Rocket x would be the closet to fully blacked out from the factory.

In the paint department I don't think triumph are very good tbh, there designs on the new speed triple and street triple are horrific, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a better colour range.
Plus triumph will probably charge more for a Matt and gloss colour scheme, something I enjoyed doing to mine for 40 pound and in the process got rid of the cheap looking silver/flimsy plastic.

😁
In the paint department I don't think triumph are very good tbh, there designs on the new speed triple and street triple are horrific, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a better colour range.
Plus triumph will probably charge more for a Matt and gloss colour scheme, something I enjoyed doing to mine for 40 pound and in the process got rid of the cheap looking silver/flimsy plastic.

Oh, don't get me wrong; you're doing a GREAT job at it, and no doubt if you enjoy it, saving a few quid is a neat bonus, but while I thoroughly enjoy wrenching on cars some, and bikes a lot, I've just never liked doing my own painting. For years I was horrible at it, and then I learned how to do it, but it takes me 5 times the time of anyone else to achieve perfect or close to perfect results, which where I live means going so far as to check expected temp and relative humidity for the 48 hours after spraying. Then when I'm finished, I just feel like all the work wasn't worth it (just to me; obviously, just like wrenching, er, twirling the spanners, YMMV). I always have the thought, "Can I find someone else to do this for me at a reasonable price," after I paint something.

On Trumpet's paint, it's hit or miss with me. I like the Thrux. R and RS, the Bonnie Black, the T120 matte black (but you're right they probably right the premium charged for both of those is unjustified), and that gorgeous tank on the "Diamond" model of the T120, which has a raised Union Jack offset on the tank, which you only notice in certain light unless you're on the bike. I actually think the Phantom Black metallic is really pretty, even though it's also a common Triumph color. I've also always liked the orange they put on various Bonnies over the years. And holy cow, the paint on my wife's TFC Bobber is out of this world. It looks black inside, but really "pops" in the sun, and is a neat, navy-charcoal metallic.

But after all that, and being a HUGE fan of Speed Triple and Street Triple for years, very much including the formerly cool and classy looks, I agree with you totally. I don't get what they're doing there now. Just my subjective opinion, but both of those bikes always catch my eye as the ugly ducklings in an otherwise pretty Triumph family.

Back