Beware tonic #386 - Drink at your own risk

ephraim

.020 Over
It seems to me that enough guys have posted on this forum reporting serious problems from 386 for someone to say hold off if you haven't had it done yet. I'm sure there is a percentage that have downloaded it and it went well for them - but whatever my percentage is we are experiencing a serioius pain in the ass right now. If you want to take the chance - go ahead. I wish I hadn't - and right now Triumph has no fix for this.

Factors that could cause idle problems are many and interrelated for sure... Triumph still may not have the total fix... But I wonder how much of this is the factory missing the mark or the incompetence of dealer personnel when following the 386 directions... I've posted the complete procedure on another thread... Even I could do it with Tuneboy if I had to... And I am no great mechanic...

Mike...

ro6ert said:
I am NOT going 4 it. Don't fix it if it aint broken.

Yeah same here. The stock tune worked great and I had the 385 done. Now I got no compression when downshifting. Quite annoying. Luckily it doesn't "hang" at 2000rpm like others.

There is no way I'll have the 386 done any time soon, unless I'm having problems.

captain,

It seems that there are a lot of guys from different places experiencing problems so I'm not sure either. I wish someone would sort it all out.

I had my first service done today. When I asked the dealer not to do the #386 recall he said that they had done seven already and no-one had a problem. He did say it was a fairly involved process, and that may be problems some guys are having may be due to the work not being done properly. I was thinking..typical bs! I agreed to have it done even though I haven't had any idle problems. I rode it home with no dramas, in fact the bike seems to be running a whole lot better, but that is probably due to other factors as a result of the service.

so far so good......

I just had a new tune loaded as per bulletin 386 and have experienced no problems. I have never had an idle issue and decided to go for it. The bike has a totally new tune, Triumph number 20226 installed. I am running Tor's and bypass. After the new tune was loaded I noticed that the bike runs very smoothly. I would like to know whether it is okay to go ahead and reload one of my Tuneboy tunes or will that cause any problems? Does anyone know anything about this new series of tunes?

I have had the new 386 tune for about 1k miles with no problems. Had it loaded when it went in for the cam chain gear replacement. The bike has never ran better.

By my count 7 guys on this forum have reported bigger problems after #386 - it may be a dealer issue in which case I will try again - it's just such a long way over and back that I want to make sure they know how to fix it when I get there.

Back