Beware the E10 Demon

RazMan

Rocket Addict
Ride
2022 R3 GT, 2011 America
My 2005 Classic has been running a little rough lately and a couple of days ago refused to start, so I did the usual checks but couldn't figure it out - very frustrating. As a last resort I phoned my local dealership who were very helpful and collected the bike for diagnostics / repair. The following day they told me that the fuel pump hoses had all perished and partially blocked, reducing fuel pressure. Apparently they are getting a lot of bikes with the same problem which is due to the UK's recent change to E10 petrol. The only solution was complete replacement of all the tank internals - anything made of rubber/plastic anyway. A fresh fuel filter completes the job and apparently the replacement parts are more tolerant of E10 fuel but no guarantees.
So if you are using E10, be aware that you might encounter similar problems.

I have been warned about that years ago and when I purchased my first Rocket (and the second), the dealer told me: "never put E10 in your tank"
Luckily we still have a choice in Australia.
I was told exactly what you described about eating up any rubber seals that have contact with petrol (gas)

My 2005 Classic has been running a little rough lately and a couple of days ago refused to start, so I did the usual checks but couldn't figure it out - very frustrating. As a last resort I phoned my local dealership who were very helpful and collected the bike for diagnostics / repair. The following day they told me that the fuel pump hoses had all perished and partially blocked, reducing fuel pressure. Apparently they are getting a lot of bikes with the same problem which is due to the UK's recent change to E10 petrol. The only solution was complete replacement of all the tank internals - anything made of rubber/plastic anyway. A fresh fuel filter completes the job and apparently the replacement parts are more tolerant of E10 fuel but no guarantees.
So if you are using E10, be aware that you might encounter similar problems.
I never use E10. I do not trust what the government says as they lie and want our vehicles off the road. It's just a back door way to do it. Apparently my bikes and car can use E10 but i do not use it. Repairs are too expensive.

I've been using E10 for many years without a single problem, I have to wonder if maybe the percent is higher than 10%.
Payson?? That's the right place to live with a Rocket. Great roads in every direction.
I just moved to PHX and have driven up into the mountains a couple times already. Can't wait to finally get the Rocket home so I can take her up there.

Back