another thought. Do you have an alarm fitted?

The reason I ask is the negative side battery cable has a pigtail on it that is behind the left side cover. This pigtail plugs into a jack that has something to do with the alarm system. If that connection is bad, then you get no start.

And, yes, the 5 pin Hella under the right side cover is the starter relay. The other black box under the right side cover is the turn signal flasher. I've never heard of a relay under the tank.

Well, the mystery has been solved. I went Saturday morning and bought a new battery because I really needed one...still had the original in there that lasted 9 years. Installed the battery and no luck. Checked the clutch switch (pushed it in) and it started right up. A little WD40 and I was riding all day Saturday. Thanks for all of your suggestions...I wish I would have known that in Sturgis but oh well. Several lessons learned.

Pleased to hear you solved your problem. As you say, too bad it wasn't sooner.

A word of caution about WD40 though. I have found "fixes" using that can be very temporary. I would suggest giving it a spray with a good quality contact cleaner when you get a chance. It would truly suck to get stuck with the same issue again.

Well, the mystery has been solved. I went Saturday morning and bought a new battery because I really needed one...still had the original in there that lasted 9 years. Installed the battery and no luck. Checked the clutch switch (pushed it in) and it started right up. A little WD40 and I was riding all day Saturday. Thanks for all of your suggestions...I wish I would have known that in Sturgis but oh well. Several lessons learned.

Yes! I agree that wd40 can attract dust, although I shot the clutch switch with a little 3 years ago when it wasn't working and it still works fine. Luckily for me it happened in my driveway and not on a trip - that had to suck!

Feels good to be back on the road, don't it?

My Victory has neither clutch nor kickstand switches and can't say I miss them.

Feels good to be back on the road, don't it?

My Victory has neither clutch nor kickstand switches and can't say I miss them.

Good thing for that little rubber bad on the Vision's sidestand though... I can count on one hand; the number of times it did it's job; by catching and kicking the sidestand back up into it's stowed position.... when I had a fleeting "senior moment" regarding that...

Back