Clutch switch? I assume you're well aware of this, but even in neutral you need to pull in the clutch. If I had no way to test them I would be bypassing both the clutch and kickstand switch.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

What happens if you run 12V jumpers to the starter?

Have you tried to bump start it?

Just in case O'rielly's gave you the wrong starter relay, NAPA AR272 works in my Roadster. Is it possible to install jumpers to complete the circuit the relay not be?

@tdragger....can I eliminate the ignition switch as a possible culprit if I get juice on both solder joints by pressing the button in?

For the starter relay. should I be able to hit a NAPA and have them cross reference it? As I said initially, i picked one up at OReilley and it didnt work...it was a 5 pin but not sure if it was the right one. I didnt have them cross reference

A GOOD counter guy can look at the little picture on your original relay and make certain you get the right one. That's all I had to do - handed it to the counter guy, he looked at it and grabbed the AR272.
I had similar symptoms to yours when my relay was bad. Are the relay base connections all clean and wire firmly in?

@tdragger....can I eliminate the ignition switch as a possible culprit if I get juice on both solder joints by pressing the button in?

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles, Admiral. Really sucks.

When my ignition switch went bad, I didn't get the instrument sweep. Since you are getting the sweep, it leads me to believe that your switch is ok.

When you hit the starter button, do you get voltage on the white/red wire that feeds into the starter relay? That is the circuit from the starter button.

Sorry to hear of your issue Admiral, I was at Sturgis staying at Lamphere Ranch with my three youngest sons. I hope you get this sorted.

@RocketEd - I have tried it all different ways...in neutral out of neutral clutch in clutch out...nothing. I do hear the fuel pump prime and get instrument sweep. Did not try to bump start it but did try to arc it. Did not put cables on it though. Probably going to try that if a new starter relay doesnt work.

I checked the contacts on the starter relay and the button...all good it seems.

Just to make sure I am clear...when I am referring to the starter relay I am talking about the 5-pin Hella relay under the right side cover. Is that what everyone else is talking about? The reason I ask is the the local service shop mentioned another relay under the tank and 3 under the left side cover. I know the 3 on the left are fuel pump, ems, and cooling according to the service manual. I cant find the one under the tank in the manual.

Try cleaning the clutch switch - shoot some wd40 in there. Don't assume by pulling in the clutch the switch is actually working. At the very least, worth cleaning even if this turns out not to be the problem

The starter relay is the one you mention. I'm not familiar with any relay under the tank.

as @tdragger mentioned, the headlights must go out completely when pressing the starter button, not just dim. When the starter relay is working correctly it routes power to the lights in it's normal state and redirects it to the starter when the button is pressed. They cannot be on at the same time if working correctly.

Can you hear the starter relay click when you press the button?

When you switched starters did you also switch solenoids or do you still have the original?

Are you absolutely certain you have a good ground at both the battery and the starter? All can appear well until you try to draw starter current and then things change.

I plan on double checking the ground and the clutch switch this evening. Also probably going to test with my buddy's battery to see if that might be the issue.

Back