Bad drivetrain Noise coming from rear end.

Soo I get my bike back today, they tell me the noise is from rocks hitting the fender.... I proceed to ride it home, and get the same noise off throttle. I asked them why do the rocks only kick up and make that noise off throttle and not on throttle they said "i dont know" what the hell, Im about done with this bike....

i am going to assume they gave u that info because they had no idea what the noise was.
you know it may be possible that it was a pigeon pecking on the rear fender. (when u slow down causing him to lean forward :laugh: :laugh:)
the odds r pretty slim

f3cf652b459d4e68d722526138955856.jpg

I just took the ujoint cover off where the shaft drive meets the engine.

There is side to side and up and down movement on the output shaft. Not the ujoint. Will post a video.

Triumph Cleveland, Ohio Is my dealer

also this noise occurs both in gear and out of gear.

would someone be willing to take their cover off and verify this is normal or not. Takes about 5 minutes to remove three pieces.

Last edited:
I have never looked at mine
but i work on drive shafts all the time and that seems normal to me.
you should have a little play twisting back and forth and in and out (maybe a lot if u pry on it
moving in side to side should be very little
can u post a video of the noise?

I have never looked at mine
but i work on drive shafts all the time and that seems normal to me.
you should have a little play twisting back and forth and in and out (maybe a lot if u pry on it
moving in side to side should be very little
can u post a video of the noise?
videos above, normal twisting play. side to side is evident.

looked at it again looks normal
Thanks for that info.
I had someone verify theres, and they didnt get any noise from there joint like I did. The video thats on the first page, would you think thats normal too or?

i might add one with trouble usually leaks.
sometimes leaks.
the earlier rockets had a problem with the rear bearing being in backwards but this should be taken care of.
differentials have a habit of making a whine/noise
going thru gears it will give different pitch or changing when shifting
if in the final drive it basically follows the speed that the rear tire is turning.
gears usually a wine or growl
bearings a rumble vibration
u joints clank, squeaks, squeals vibration
hth

Back