I'm looking for a backpack to carry about 5 days worth of stuff. Going to be doing up to 400 miles a day and in hot conditions. I know about Kriega but they're a bit rich........recommendations?
Maybe not what your after, but I like the tourmaster throw overs in size xl. I also have a couple of pack type bags, but the tourmasters handle it well and you dont have to wear it!

FWIW, bike was my only mode of transport for years before selling out and becoming a cager, so i went through a lot of backpacks over the years.
The one i settled on as being the best (you have to pay for it as you know, but it's the best IMO), is the Kriega R30. Proper rain proof without messing with those roll-out covers others use to call their bag "waterproof".

They do a Triumph badged one, so you're obliged to buy it :D

upload_2018-6-12_18-17-40.png

Probably designed for motorcycle use, has built in back padding/protection and ergonomic shoulder straps to go with armoured jackets etc.
Turbo,
They are the ducks guts, if I had seen the Triumph branded one I would have bought that instead of the plain.
But great comfort and fit.

I'm looking for a backpack to carry about 5 days worth of stuff. Going to be doing up to 400 miles a day and in hot conditions. I know about Kriega but they're a bit rich........recommendations?

Ya might gander at this:

A 35L backpack should be plenty big enough for 5-7 day trip IF you don't need anything bulky. Quantity and size of things need to pack will govern the backpack size needed.

I have found that even with a 35L bag it will touch the hump of the pillion seat - as mentioned earlier.

I just picked up 5KGs in weight using the backpack with no problems.

I have on of these. It's a hiking backpack with a 60L capacity. May seem a little excessive but the there's 3 main reasons that make it great:

1. Pretty much waterproof, whatever's in there will stay dry.
2. The multiple straps on the front and the multiple positions for adjustability make it easy to have a firm fit so there aren't issues with it moving around.
3. The best bit is the bottom of the pack sits nice and low, so when you sit on the bike the pack rests on the pillion seat taking almost all of the weight.

I've had mine with about 20kg in it and gone on a 4 hour ride with no issues. You definitely notice the weight when you get off the bike.

I'm thinking that a 25l would be enough as I'm only packing a few t shirts/underwear and a few toiletries (and obviously flip flops @barbagris :))

I don't have a rack fitted and am running a solo seat so strapping anything to the back is difficult.

On a bike I am therefore assuming, from the Kriega mention? - Just you? - or is the bag going on Sam's back?

How many litres, Frank?- Because much above 35/40L you might as well wear a sail.

Boblbee hard backpacks are designed to act as spinal protectors. Not cheap either.

I am fussy (so what's new you say) - Berghaus, Karrimor - with Ortlieb wet liners.

On a bike I would go for technical mountaineering sacks. Simple and designed to keep contents stable and close to your centre of balance.

It's for the trip in August, whilst Sam is a game girl, I think that at 34 weeks pregnant for the return, it's going on my back :)

I'm thinking that a 25l would be enough as I'm only packing a few t shirts/underwear and a few toiletries (and obviously flip flops @barbagris :)) I don't have a rack fitted and am running a solo seat so strapping anything to the back is difficult.

See if you can find something with a bellows system. You can always compress down. Forget looking for lots of pockets - They waste space.

If I were you - I'd pop to

Decathlon
24 Harbour Parade,
West Quay Retail Park
SO15 1 BA Southampton

Hiking Backpack, | Decathlon

Back