laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
I'm looking for a backpack to carry about 5 days worth of stuff. Going to be doing up to 400 miles a day and in hot conditions. I know about Kriega but they're a bit rich........recommendations?

On a bike I am therefore assuming, from the Kriega mention? - Just you? - or is the bag going on Sam's back?

How many litres, Frank?- Because much above 35/40L you might as well wear a sail.

Boblbee hard backpacks are designed to act as spinal protectors. Not cheap either.

I am fussy (so what's new you say) - Berghaus, Karrimor - with Ortlieb wet liners.

On a bike I would go for technical mountaineering sacks. Simple and designed to keep contents stable and close to your centre of balance.

I'm looking for a backpack to carry about 5 days worth of stuff. Going to be doing up to 400 miles a day and in hot conditions. I know about Kriega but they're a bit rich........recommendations?
Just curious… I disliked wearing a pack while riding so much, even for just an hour, that I’d go to great lengths to never do it again. What pack have you ridden with in the past that worked well enough you are looking for a better one? What did/didn’t you like about what you’ve used?

Also, what does five days worth mean to you? Food and water? If it’s just clothes and necessities I can pack for an indefinite length trip in one plastic grocery bag. It can vary so widely between people, specifying a liter range that would work for you might help narrow it down, or at least knowing if you tend to be a light or heavy packer.

Hello @laraza , I don't wear a back-pack if I can avoid it at all. I bought this: back in 2014 and it serves me quite well. I have carried up to a week's worth of clothing in it for long summer rides with no worries. It comes with a rain cover too...
Good luck.

Don 2014.4.jpg
9.30.14.PA.jpg

FWIW, bike was my only mode of transport for years before selling out and becoming a cager, so i went through a lot of backpacks over the years.
The one i settled on as being the best (you have to pay for it as you know, but it's the best IMO), is the Kriega R30. Proper rain proof without messing with those roll-out covers others use to call their bag "waterproof".

They do a Triumph badged one, so you're obliged to buy it :D

upload_2018-6-12_18-17-40.png

Probably designed for motorcycle use, has built in back padding/protection and ergonomic shoulder straps to go with armoured jackets etc.

My only recommendation is that it is useful to have a chest strap - this helps keep it snug to your back when riding.

Currently I am using a Bigpack Transalp 35 - it is a cyclist backpack with a small spider for holding a helmet on the back. I have just tried my motorcycle helmet in it and is does fit - not fantastic but not too bad.

Can add some photos if required.

tbh the R3 dual seat is NOT well suited to a backpack. It is a stepped seat so the pack has to sit fairly high. And forget it if you have a riders backrest.
I planned to use a pack I have that splits into two parts for my UK trip. But agree with the aforementioned comments about Backpacks on bikes.

Why not a seat pack? - imo IF you are travelling light - 20L should cover it. Footwear is the big space-hog - but I know you like flip-flops.

Hello @laraza , I don't wear a back-pack if I can avoid it at all. I bought this: back in 2014 and it serves me quite well. I have carried up to a week's worth of clothing in it for long summer rides with no worries. It comes with a rain cover too...
Good luck.

Don 2014.4.jpg
9.30.14.PA.jpg

But you didn't tell him you don't need to pack underwear or socks cause its only a week!
:p;):)

Not a fan of wearing a backpack on the bike. Do a fair bit of mountaineering though and if your determined to go down the backpack route I have always been happy with macpac and osprey bags.

As has been mentioned above, once you start pushing above 40l sacks and get into the realm of multi day camping packs, ie 60l ish, you'll really feel the sucker tugging at you in certain wind conditions.

Back