Anyone else want to protest helmet law?

I thought it was government of the people by the people for the people .
I thought people had a choice to change laws and enact laws depending on what the majority of the people want .
I thought thats what made this contry great well before the corporations compleatly took over .

Its just nice to have the choice .

There is no helmet requirement in my state, but I usually do wear one. One of my former Triumphs was an in-town bike, and was less apt to put on a helmet for in-town errands and casual trips.

It should be the choice of the rider. I suppose there are states (like my own) where insurances rates are higher due to the greater number of accidents and fatalities on motorcycles.

Earlier this year, the current owner of my former 99 Adventurer totaled the bike when a vehicle pulled out in front of him. He wasn't wearing a helmet, and he is still on disability (cracked practically every bone in his body, including two teeth and parts of his head). Things would have been much better today if he had worn a helmet and armored jacket; but I respect his choice. We hope that he will be able to return to work in September.

Mandatory Protection Laws, like helmets and seat belts, do end up saving lives. It still doesn't sway my tendency to allow Americans the right to choose.

It's that "I usually do wear a helmet" that is what I'm after. I just don't want to get pulled over by some a-hole bike hating cop while I'm running up the street to the convenience store when I'm not wearing one. It should be a choice.

Even adamant wearers sometime might hop on a bike for a few minutes to go some short distance without one, why should they be subject to a fine?

do you think if the guy that hit his head on the pavement and was killed could come back to live the rest of his life would he still not wear a helmet?

well noone really knows if a helmut would have saved his life, he made the choice when he purchased the bike an chose to ride it that day, now logically speaking, none of us know when we climb on our bikes if we will return safe, yet we make the choice......just sayin...pro choice!

MAN YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO GET OVER YOUR MAN O PAUSE, YOU ARE WORSE THEN THE OLE FARTS AT MCDONALDS EVERY MORNIN....:eek:

LOL Hellraiser...........
boy who would've thought one simple question would bring out so much emotion & deep opinions so much so that one guy is leaving!? Ouch! :eek:

<3 Dustyrose <3 (via Android App Tapatalk)

Do you think if the guy that hit his head on the pavement and was killed could come back to live the rest of his life would he still not wear a helmet?

I most certainly do think this person would not have worn a helmet no matter the situation. News reports and comments from friends and family were pretty clear.
Heres a follow up article on the subject. Although I am an avid helmet wearer and would encourage all to do so....it still remains the choice of the individual, let that person be responsible for themselves not other people.....:cool:

Philip Contos rode his Harley-Davidson in Saturday’s annual Onondaga County protest ride without a helmet.
And he’d do it again if he could, Richard Contos said Sunday, even as he mourned his brother’s death.
“He would have wanted it that way,” the older Contos said.
Philip Contos died after he went over the handlebars of his Harley during a helmet protest ride on Route 11 in the town of Onondaga. Contos, 55, of Parish, was pronounced dead at Upstate University Hospital after the 1:30 p.m. incident, state police said Saturday.
By Sunday afternoon, Richard Contos was getting sick of the calls from the media pointing out the terrible irony in his brother’s death.
Instead, Contos wanted to talk about his younger brother – a truck driver by trade, a former U.S. Army soldier and a hater of nearly all things involving the government.
“He’s a rebel,” said the older brother, who lives in Liverpool. “That’s what he felt like doing. He protested everything.”
On Saturday, Philip Contos was protesting New York’s helmet law during the 11th annual Helmet Protest Run, organized by the Onondaga County chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education.
The group, known as ABATE, supports biker education and training. The group is trying to work with state and national transportation officials to put more tax money into training young motorcyclists and less into setting up police roadblocks that target only bikers, said Christinea Rathbun, the president of the Syracuse ABATE chapter.
But members do not believe the government has any business telling bikers whether to wear a helmet.
Contos’ death will not change that, Rathbun said on Sunday.
“Absolutely not,” she said. “It’s not going to stop us protesting our right to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet. It’s your own risk.”
Rathbun was not on Saturday’s ride, but she said she had talked to people who were. Rathbun and Richard Contos said the accident happened because Philip’s bootlaces got stuck in a chain.
The biker looked down to inspect the problem, looked up and saw traffic slowing and slammed on the brakes, Richard Contos said, repeating what state police told him. That sudden braking caused the motorcycle to fishtail and Phil Contos lost control, state police said Saturday.
It’s the only accident in the protest ride’s 11-year history, Rathbun said.
“Most of them are also in shock,” she said of Contos’ fellow riders.

mutt

I thought it was government of the people by the people for the people .
I thought people had a choice to change laws and enact laws depending on what the majority of the people want .
I thought thats what made this contry great well before the corporations compleatly took over .

We send those people to congress together, and they end up congressing way too much for our own good. Then the people that bureau over us threaten fund withdrawal if the states do not play nanny. Woe is us.

Half the site would hang the democrats, while the other half would bury the republicans in feces.

hmmmmmm......
ill add a few things.
while i thinks its wise to always wear a helmet, i dont always wear one.
when i ride sportbikes i always wear a helmet, but about half and half when riding cruisers.
ive had 3 wrecks in my life, all 3 on sportbikes. 2 while doing wheelies, 1 canyon carving. 3 wrecks, 2 totalled bikes, and i got up and walked away cause i had all my gear on. no broken bones, just some bruises.
that said, my 3 wrecks were caused by me doing stupid stuff on sportbikes (actually the wreck while canyon cruising wasnt really my fault) hence i never ride a sportbike without gear.
thats my choice.
on cruisers i dont always wear a helmet. i dont do as many wreckless things while riding cruisers. i understand i cannot control other drivers etc, but like i said, its my choice and i enjoy that choice.

let me also add that from what i have read 90-95% of serious or fatal accidents involve a rider who had been drinking or had less than a year riding experience or a combination of both.
thats something to think about.

one more thing..... i know a lot of cops and beauracrats love to point out how "driving is a priveledge."
let me point out that is a "priveledge" that i have PAID for. lets see.... taxes, licensing, testing, renewals, ins, registration, etc etc etc..... when you pay for something it is a RIGHT until you do something where it gets revoked.

have fun guys and ride safe

How many of you guys who dont like wearing helmets work in high risk workplaces that require safety helmets ,eye/hearing/breathing protection?
Im curious if you use the same arguements at work regarding personal rights?

Many years ago my uncle died not wearing a helmet.
Three decades of watching my grand parents(dec) and his brother and sisters(dec) grieve, is enough to sell me on the usefulness of a helmet.

Back