Anyone else want to protest helmet law?

Again like I said before, it's a privilege to ride/drive on government controlled property (Aka streets and highway). Thats how it always has been, and will always be. If you don't like it then buy a road and do what you want on it. You have no right to even be allowed to have a license. I don't think that means the government should go out of their way to abuse the road system, but most of the complaining on here is based around the idea you actually have rights that don't exist.

If a state thinks you should have to wear a helemet to operate a motorcycle on it's roads, then do it, don't and get ticketed, or move. Such a law is a lost cause in reality, since it's only going to save a few lives of people that didnt want to increase their chances or survival in the first place (Aka people that don't wear safety gear). Or you can boycott such laws, which is a lost cause since like I said before, you have no right to operate a vehicle on public roads.

Again like I said before I don't care what someone chooses to wear. I do know that the day you go down with no gear is the day you might have enough sense to think (Gee if I only had gear on). Or you will be dead and it won't matter. A guy at my work went down a few weeks ago, was road rashes to hell, swelling of the brain, and will never be the same. No gear on at all. Had the guy had a helmet and even a cheap pair of jeans and riding jacket he would have walked out of the hospital the same day.

Personally my life is worth something so I am not leaving my survival up to chance. If your willing to accept the risk of riding with no gear more power to you. Realize how fragile your body and brain actually are. It doesn't take much of a hit to your head to take you out. Swing a hammer at your head with no helmet, 1 hit you have a fractured skull and serious problems. Even a $100 helmet on your head will keep your skull in one place.

You speak of the "government" as something separate and above the rest of us. You say "they own" the roads and that if we want a road we should buy one. Brother, I did buy a portion of the roads that I ride on. The government has no money other than the money that it appropriates from us. It's bad enough that the bureaucrats and politicians have started thinking that they are all above us, without us conceding it also. As long as they continue using my money, I will continue voicing my opinion on how it should be spent and what laws should be enacted to accomodate such expenditures. Then the "government" can get back to what it does best. Posturing.

It seems that most of us that have posted to this thread agree that wearing a helmet should be personal choice. I agree with that. Let each person decide.

I wear a helmet when I ride. I wear a helmet when I snow ski. I wear a helmet when I ride my bicycles. Why? Because for very little money I can greatly reduce my risk of injury during these activiites.

What I don't agree with is people making these choices and taking the risk, and expect the rest of us to pay for it. So you choose to ride without a helmet and go down. You have a head trauma....that's too bad. I feel bad for you, but insurance doesn't cover it. Pay for it out of your own pocket. People shouldn't expect us to subsidize their personal choices with higher insurance premiums to the rest of us. Same goes for smoking. Smoke if you want. Get smoking related cancer? That's too bad. I wish you the best, but don't expect me to pay for your choice.

Everyone want's their freedom and choices, but when it all goes bad, want someone else to pay for it.

It seems that most of us that have posted to this thread agree that wearing a helmet should be personal choice. I agree with that. Let each person decide.

I wear a helmet when I ride. I wear a helmet when I snow ski. I wear a helmet when I ride my bicycles. Why? Because for very little money I can greatly reduce my risk of injury during these activiites.

What I don't agree with is people making these choices and taking the risk, and expect the rest of us to pay for it. So you choose to ride without a helmet and go down. You have a head trauma....that's too bad. I feel bad for you, but insurance doesn't cover it. Pay for it out of your own pocket. People shouldn't expect us to subsidize their personal choices with higher insurance premiums to the rest of us. Same goes for smoking. Smoke if you want. Get smoking related cancer? That's too bad. I wish you the best, but don't expect me to pay for your choice.

Everyone want's their freedom and choices, but when it all goes bad, want someone else to pay for it.

Jeremy, , you wanna pay for my bike??????:D:D

You speak of the "government" as something separate and above the rest of us. You say "they own" the roads and that if we want a road we should buy one. Brother, I did buy a portion of the roads that I ride on. The government has no money other than the money that it appropriates from us. It's bad enough that the bureaucrats and politicians have started thinking that they are all above us, without us conceding it also. As long as they continue using my money, I will continue voicing my opinion on how it should be spent and what laws should be enacted to accomodate such expenditures. Then the "government" can get back to what it does best. Posturing.

In your lifetime you likely paid for no more in taxes then what 2 mile stretch of well maintained road cost over thoes years. The government has always been about the collective whole and not the individual. The more people that are on the roads, the more restrictions will be put in place because the group of people as a whole is more important then the individual. At some point the ability to drive a car could be left for the rich while the rest have to use public transportation due to overcrowding.

At one time drinking and driving was tolerated to the point that you were left to sober up on the side of the road instead of being arrested. Nowadays your hung out to dry and screwed over from every angle. That's what people seem to want, accountability. If you want to engage in a risky activity in public ( riding a bike) it's expected you will minimize that risk via being able to pass a skills test, and in some cases wear a helmet by law.

For as much as people are against mandatory helmets, what about mandatory msf/ skills classes to even get a motorcycle license? What about the fact **** near all racing venues you can race your bike at require helmets? Nobody wants to be held responsible for when your brain gets splattered on the pavement by allowing you to not have common effective saftey gear, that includes the government. Besides, there is nothing stopping you from not wearing a helmet in a state that requires them. Consider the tickets a tax on your choice to be more risk taking then others.

i guess freedom is only for the people who can afford it . as for the why should i have to pay for it. why do i have to pay for the police don' like them or need them to keep me safe why pay for firemen i have insurance. why pay for schools if you don' have any kids why pay for welfare someone else's kids .i pay for alot of thing i do not need or want. lets just privatize everthing and **** the and the working class.

i guess freedom is only for the people who can afford it . as for the why should i have to pay for it. why do i have to pay for the police don' like them or need them to keep me safe why pay for firemen i have insurance. why pay for schools if you don' have any kids why pay for welfare someone else's kids .i pay for alot of thing i do not need or want. lets just privatize everthing and **** the and the working class.

Now there's an interesting concept. A la carte government services. You just select which benefits you want and that's all you pay for.

You choose no police coverage, so somebody runs a red light and crumples your bike, no police report. Oops, no insurance claim without that police report.

Also, once your health insurance carrier learns that you have no police or fire coverage, well, kiss that health insurance good bye. So, along for paying for your crumpled bike you'll be paying for your hospital stay as well.

You choose no fire coverage. How do you suspect your insurance company will react when they learn you have no fire coverage. If they choose to renew your policy at all, I'm guessing your new rate will equal the value of your house.

No kids, no paying for schools. What if you change your mind? Who will then pay to teach little dirtbagbiker all those pesky things like capitalization, spelling and punctuation? After all, its not a pay as you go system.

No, freedom is for everyone. We have the freedom to vote. Ultimately, the majority decide who gets elected to office and if those in office aren't responsive to their constituency, they get voted out. At least that's how its supposed to work. I'm not 100% sure its working as designed.

i guees you miss the point. you can not ingauge in any thing risky unless it is for money and legal. because a lot people have dangerous jobs and could get hurt or killed doing them . but i guess they are doing them for the betterment of society. not for thier enjoyment so that makes it ok .as far as all that spelling and other crap don't need it for my job that pays good . i am not an english teacher. i do constution . building america. miss dirtbag can teach our little dirtbags all that reading and crap she has an mph why she love the dirtbag so much i do not know..:cool:

Well in the sake of this thread I will say this happened right in my backyard and its too bad that someone had to die to provoke this type of discussion..........Quite a hit for the local ABATE program..........The irony is uncanny. Hopefully the real reason the protest took place will shine through...................FREEDOM!

mutt

Well in the sake of this thread I will say this happened right in my backyard and its too bad that someone had to die to provoke this type of discussion..........Quite a hit for the local ABATE program..........The irony is uncanny. Hopefully the real reason the protest took place will shine through...................FREEDOM!

mutt

Do you think if the guy that hit his head on the pavement and was killed could come back to live the rest of his life would he still not wear a helmet?

Back