Another clutch question

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
My clutch has been giving me fits lately. It all started when both the clutch lifter shaft and lifter piece broke. Those parts have been replaced but then the clutch would not completely dis-engage and would drag some even with the clutch lever pulled in all the way, and there was also no way to get the required 2 to 3MM free play. No amount of adjusting would cure the problem.
I had a washer left over from the repair that I had accidently left out but didn't think that could be the problem because it would only fit on the bottom part of the lifter piece and should not affect the operation of the clutch. (in my opinion)
So today I opened up the engine again to inspect the clutch and install the washer just in case it was needed and when I removed the clutch pressure plate I noticed that the wavy washer had fallen in between the pressure plate and the top clutch disk. So I am thinking that this was the problem of not getting correct clutch function.

Two questions:

First, do you think the out of place wavy washer is why I didn't get full clutch function?

Secondly, are both washers (regular and wavy) necessary for the clutch to operate correctly? I have a hard time thinking that they are, but don't see why Triumph would go to the trouble and expense of including them if they were not necessary.

The wavy washer was deformed when I tightened down the pressure plate so if it is needed I will have to order one.

I would say yeah the wavy washer getting jammed in there was highly likely to have been contributing to the clutch to drag. The clutch pack only opens a tiny amount like 1mm or something and that's overall, just enough to take the pressure off the pack and allow the steels/clutch plates to slip around in between the fiber/friction discs. E.g. if it was 1mm lift and you had 10 plates then that's 0.1mm between each plate.
So if you have a washer stuck in there too (albeit a very thin one) then that will reduce the amount the actuation mechanism can 'open' the clutch pack up.

Got a pic of this other washer? Do you know where it came from exactly (before forgetting to reinstall it)?

I agree with R-III-R TURBO
Also if the wavy washer was between the pressure plate and a friction clutch then it might have tore the linning off that clutch so if it is not replaced then it will eat into the pressure plate then to much clearance will cause problems.
I guess it may have stuck to the friction and the pressure plate might be bad.
I would use the wave washer.
Maybe warp can put one in an envelope and mail it to u
Post pics of pressure plate and friction clutch and i will tell u to use or replace

Thanks guys, here are some pics.

The first pic is of the lifter piece with both washers on it. They will both fit only on the bottom side of the lifter piece.
lifter piece.jpeg

I used a hammer and a flat surface to flatten out the wavy washer somewhat.

washers.jpeg

Pressure plate below
pressure plate'.jpeg

And top friction disk
friction.jpeg

The pressure plate has some marks on it but they are too small to be felt so to my eye if should be OK. The friction plate looks to have some minor scaring but to me it looks usable too.
I'm still confused as to the function of the two washers. To me they don't seem to serve a purpose.
Your opinions please.

Hmm I've not seen that washer in my 06 or 10 engine. I wonder is it a part Triumph included for a while a dropped it again.
But the wavy washer certainly goes on the back end of the lifter piece/ pull rod last, as I understand its purpose is to go between the pull rod and the end of the input shaft / clutch centre nut to stop the pull rod bouncing around too much.

When you assemble the clutch with pressure plate etc on, check that the pull tod can be turned freely full rotations and also can slide in and out a little.

The friction and plate look good to me.
Better be safe than sorry
The ball bearing style is the latest set up and the wavey and washer is there just in case something breaks (jmo)

Thanks guys, here are some pics.

The first pic is of the lifter piece with both washers on it. They will both fit only on the bottom side of the lifter piece.
lifter piece.jpeg

I used a hammer and a flat surface to flatten out the wavy washer somewhat.

washers.jpeg

Pressure plate below
pressure plate'.jpeg

And top friction disk
friction.jpeg

The pressure plate has some marks on it but they are too small to be felt so to my eye if should be OK. The friction plate looks to have some minor scaring but to me it looks usable too.
I'm still confused as to the function of the two washers. To me they don't seem to serve a purpose.
Your opinions please.
Been a while since I was in mine but certain flat washer wasn't required or used, only wavy washer. Thought I read something on here a couple yrs. ago that it was mistake in the parts drawing.

I might have some info on the flat washer. It seems that my '08 Touring came with the T1170203 clutch piece (the one on the left) and I installed the updated T1772023 lifter piece that has a thicker shoulder area (the one on the right). I think the flat washer is used on the older clutch piece as a spacer. I think they incorporated the washer thickness into the thickness of the shoulder on the updated piece thereby eliminating it.
I will install the updated clutch piece with the wavy washer only.
pieces.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question about the need for that washer.... Good investigative action.

I can't remember but when you performed the initial repair replacing the broken parts, did you upgrade the lifter shaft to the one with the thicker shoulder eliminating the need for that flat washer?

I might have some info on the flat washer. It seems that my '08 Touring came with the T1170203 clutch piece (the one on the left) and I installed the updated T1772023 lifter piece that has a thicker shoulder area (the one on the right). I think the flat washer is used on the older clutch piece as a spacer. I think they incorporated the washer thickness into the thickness of the shoulder on the updated piece thereby eliminating it.
I will install the clutch piece with the wavy washer only.
pieces.jpeg
That makes sense.

Back