I had to take a detour sunday while riding because the initial road was closed. That was ok but I got behind about 15 Harley riders in which they was in a club. They all had on vests with their club name at the top on the back of the vests a cross in the middle and "Jesus Saves" at the bottom. After a little while riding behind them on curvy mountain roads I noticed how dangerous they was riding together. I have never seen anything like it. They was in a straight line most of the time and they was following each other extremely to close. I am serious when I say close because I thought there front tires was going to touch the back of the lead rider in front of them. I fell back after I saw this. Then noticed they had this long "rope" hanging from their handle bars on the left side. I mean the rope was almost touching the ground. I was like "WTF is that for?" They had jeans and boots but no helmets. If these people owned Hondas I believe they would all drive the same and have ropes hanging from their handle bars. What I'm saying is posers don't know how to dress properly and ride properly. I ride with Triumph riders and have never seen us ride as close and dangerous as these folks was doing. One guy must have broke down because he came to a stop on the right side of the road. One by one everyone wanted to turn around and go check on there buddy. I have never seen such unorganized behavior as that. After they all finally decided to pull over I dropped mine down a gear and blasted on by shaking my head.

Now on the proper attire. My motto is "Dress for the slide not the ride!" If you ever had your foot crushed by a falling motorcycle which would be better to have on your foot? A motorcycle boot or sneaker? How about a pair of gloves where the ring finger is sewn together to the pinky with a piece of leather. This keeps your pinky from rolling back during impact. Grab your pinky and pull it back until it's uncomfortable then imagine if your pinky goes back even further how would that feel?

I wear race boots, pants with armor, leather jacket with armor, race gloves, and full face race helmet. Maybe I'm paranoid but I like to keep my skin where it is now and my bones in one piece. I realize that all this isn't going to help all the time but I've got a better chance of not getting hurt as bad. I wrecked my sportbike I once had and if I didn't have all the armor on I would have gotten hurt. My helmet smacked the ground as I went down over the handle bars. I landed on my back in which the jacket I had on had back protection. So it really doesn't hurt to go overboard on riding gear.
I

Good for you and your "motto!"! Riding 51 years and would never have done so if I had to get suited up like a mummy with an enclosed full face helmet and layers of protection. I've seen so many come off their rice rockets with color coordinated "caskets" insuring their safety in the event of a mishap.
For what!?? I could ride in a convertible and feel more wind in my face and freedom than being covered but multi-layers of protection wherein even my fingers cannot feel the wind. IF YOU WANT TO BE SAFE, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE!
Just once, try a pair of jeans, shorty boots, a short sleeved shirt, a half helmet, fingerless gloves. I've made it to almost 70 and ride a Carpentered bike at high speeds so I've never been subdued about riding. Ride like the wind!
Enjoy! Live free or die!
To each his own.
If I do die now...I will have outlived almost all on this forum and that's enough!
It is only a question of what you are willing to sacrifice to be "SAFE" or safer than most.
Unless you are willing to take some chances...no point to doing it all half way!
All your choice and I know this is falling on deaf ears.

I have a pair of fairly cheap (probably Chinese made) over-the-ankle boots. I can vouch (twice now) that they will support the weight of the bike while laying on the ground sideways. In my two (fairly minor) incidents, the boots saved my foot from a likely nasty injury. The hightops that I wear very occasionally would not have helped.

Also, there seems to be quite a bit of Marvin the Martian bashing going on here...I'm not happy about that. (See nickname)

MarvinM

Good for you and your "motto!"! Riding 51 years and would never have done so if I had to get suited up like a mummy with an enclosed full face helmet and layers of protection. I've seen so many come off their rice rockets with color coordinated "caskets" insuring their safety in the event of a mishap.
For what!?? I could ride in a convertible and feel more wind in my face and freedom than being covered but multi-layers of protection wherein even my fingers cannot feel the wind. IF YOU WANT TO BE SAFE, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE!
Just once, try a pair of jeans, shorty boots, a short sleeved shirt, a half helmet, fingerless gloves. I've made it to almost 70 and ride a Carpentered bike at high speeds so I've never been subdued about riding. Ride like the wind!
Enjoy! Live free or die!
To each his own.
If I do die now...I will have outlived almost all on this forum and that's enough!
It is only a question of what you are willing to sacrifice to be "SAFE" or safer than most.
Unless you are willing to take some chances...no point to doing it all half way!
All your choice and I know this is falling on deaf ears.

You don't even know how to post correctly on a forum without double posting so I wouldn't expect you to do the intelligent thing and wear gear.

If you really ride like you say you ride at high speeds then one of these days your luck will run out. You've been lucky thats all. Nothing to do about wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt you just been riding around on luck. And when it does run out maybe you won't leave most of your skin, face, jaw laying out on the road and your cracked skull won't be life threatening.

Also wearing my layers of protection and a full face helmet doesn't have any effect of how I feel on a motorcycle.

I have a Triumph mesh jacket, but it doesn't say Triumph anywhere on the outside, so I'm good.

..wait a minute..after trying to decipher zenbikers last two posts, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone trying to understand what he is saying..so zen, do you wear safety gear or not?..and did I read somewhere in another post that you are a doctor?..just curious, because if you are, I would think..aw, nevermind..what time is it?..who am I?..what is the meaning of life?....btw, I had a **** good ride today.....in my boots, half helmet and gloves..:D..carry on..

Back