After all the mods ......

Looks like I mistook the yellow on the top of a "temporary" pot signal as a medium approach and exceeded restricted speed. Might have been nice to know that the signal was not in compliance, the signal forman didn't even know what order the displayed colors were during the investigation. The feds only want my license for thirty days ... CSX wants to terminate. 10 years without so much as a run through switch, this little mistake didn't even result in a train delay and the company wants to end my career.
I should have never even gotten IN .... I guess this is MY way OUT.
What did you go on to do after getting out?

HellFire,

Thanks for the account of what you did and how it worked out. I like you am a acceleration junkie. I am aware or the potential of the R3 but not sure how best to accomplish. I nearly purchased a 2009 Vmax but due to comfort issues and parts availaility...to pulled the trigger on a left over 2007 R3 Std. I am having Jardines and the dealer installed tune as well. I like the look of the headers on the Jars...

Given that money is tight...what do you recommend as the next bast bang for the buck? What are you referring to in "secondaries"? Is a K&N in order.

I don't need to be at the 158 immediately. But when I get there...I'll know that a Vmax would not have much on a rocket tumes in such a way...especially due to the tq #'s.

I appreciate the input.

I had that "Triumph aftermarket exhaust tune" done following putting on the D&D's ... the bike felt SLOWER afterwards. I checked with the guys here on the site and found out that all the tune does is hold the secondaries further closed to richen the mixture alittle more than it already was. That was a waste of $65. I verified what I was told by taking the intake apart and just riding the bike looking down at the exposed secondaries. They were right on the money ... the **** things NEVER fully opened. Just taking them out solved that problem and a simple PCIII took care of the mixture. The "secondaries" talked about here are the upper throttle body butterflies that are controlled by the computer alone. The butterflies YOU control with the throttle are the lower ones deeper inside the throat of the throttle bodies. The secondaries are easily removed by just taking out two screws. She really woke up when I put on the GiPro gear position indicator with TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator). That got rid of the factory detuning in the 1st three gears. Some here go with the less expensive and simpler PCIII, and some with the more involved and tuneable "TuneBoy". I say "less expensive mainly because you WILL need a laptop for the TuneBoy. You might want to go back and research some of the older threads about both options and make your decision which way to go based on what your needs are along with how involved you want to get with fiddling with the tune. There is alot of reading on the subjects either way. I just opted for a PCIII because it was simpler for ME and I knew that the gear position indicator I already wanted would fix one of the other problems. A TuneBoy will address all three (including fully opening the secondaries without having to remove them) but takes some expertise and more resources than I had.
I went with the tripple K&N's, but be aware that going that way makes for alot of intake noise. I hear that the "undertank" version is a little less expensive and keeps the intake alot quieter. I wouldn't think there would be much serious performance difference since the object of altering the air filter is primarily just to eliminate the tight twists and turns of the tubing between the air plenum and stock filter box. To each his own.

Last edited:
I now work for the Town I live in. I took a $20k pay cut, but now work Mon - Friday days and have a life! I only miss the $$$ a little. Having my nights, weekends and holidays free makes it a bargain!

Back