Advice from TTS owners

late2ride

Rocket roadster playing as a tractor
Ride
2017 Rocket iii Roadster
I have a 2017 rocket III roadster and am interested in the TTS stage 2 supercharger upgrade. I have at least a couple concerns however. 1) Is it viable for long distance street riding (touring)? 2) will my crash bars/highway pegs fit or even be reachable? 3) Can I get an exhaust system upgrade that is street legal in the US? Any feedback from Supercharged owners would be appreciated.

Re #2 you would need to special request from Richard the side entry intercooler (pic below), and also suitable make/model bars, or go with stage 1 (no intercooler)

turbo-triumph-rocket-iii-hilarious-ad-photo-gallery_5.jpg

turbo-triumph-rocket-iii-hilarious-ad-photo-gallery_4.jpg

Turbo Triumph Rocket III Hilarious Ad

Can't advise on the other 2 things, but could give you a list the length of my lad of things you should know before buying ;)

I would appreciate any additional caveats you can provide. I'm not a mechanic but my mechanic would be up to the challenge. I found him for my Goldwing. He has a Goldwing that he supercharged a while back. He has a machine shop in addition to his garage and can pretty much handle any tweaking needed. From 10,000 feet I'm trying to figure out if he can do this for under ten grand and give me a result that I will not regret when going on multi day trips.... Love the bike but would like more power especially in the 50-110 mile per hour range....

To piggyback here, I would be interested in what caveats should be noted as well. Kindly PM me offline if you'd rather discuss publicly. I am sort of torn between going a Carpenter build and forced induction.

The reason I am leaning toward a supercharger is the immediacy of throttle response. I have a super charged car and it is a blast to drive. The downside though is the drag of the blower. Not free HP like a turbo... But no lag like a turbo bike might have.

I raced some very fast turbo bikes and getting the right amount boost off the line can be a bit tricky. Too much and you bog and too much you smoke the tire. A real low pressure turbo though could be interesting as it would spool up very quickly so throttle response might be better. Then with a boosted motor you always have to worry about good fuel. I just made it a habit of dumping in octane booster at every fill up and that took care of that.

One big plus about a turbo though is you can have it referenced for absolute pressure. So if the turbo can handle, I can keep my output almost the same regardless of altitude.

I don't know if the R3 has any way of quickly pulling timing if you get into detonation or not so that could obviously be a challenge. I'd rather not be punching holes in pistons if I can help it.

OTOH looking at the Carpenter graphs they make really good power but high(er) up in the RPM range. So while the HP/TQ is impressive they are spinning it more like a liter bike. For me that sorts of defeats the purpose of this massive motor.

Anybody else have the same thought process?

Calling @warp9.9 - In the USA - I honestly doubt anybody knows more about TTS'ing an R3.
Not true, as I worked side by side with @Pedro who I know I am his senior and feeling it all to well. What you guys are really missing is the knowledge of a man that builds 300 hp bikes like Peters and tunes them. I've had both and have enjoyed both. On trips as my sc bike has 62,000 on her. The real thing is tuning for the fuels you will run into. I used to add octane when out on trips and limited choices of fuel. Taz has about the same opinion between the Forced and NA motors, I'm trying to work both in. Although monstrous I am leaning towards dropping the compression a little on the falcon. Maybe down to 10.5:1 or even 10:1 to a 9:1 .. I've been getting a little better in the twisties and can see where all that power is not as important as suspension. In the old days I relied on boost after the curve :)

Back