A Bit of Eyebrow Surfing

High Side

I DO feel your pain. Having been down at over 100 MPH quite a few years ago and a 20 plus year break from riding. I made a good decision for a change and opted to "man up" , swallow my pride and take the MSF course. I'd highly recommend it for many reasons. Triumph also recommends it. The course teaches all kinds of riding, cornering, and braking techniques on a closed course. With that background in place one of the first thngs I did was to practice a full on PANIC stop with front and rear brakes on. All of you PLEASE ride safely I appreciate the brotherhood of not only R3 people but all of you on the highway. P.S. I still like W.O.T. (wide open throttle) even at my age. So don't take me wrong. Big smiles and safe miles. Marty:cool:

I DO feel your pain. Having been down at over 100 MPH quite a few years ago and a 20 plus year break from riding. I made a good decision for a change and opted to "man up" , swallow my pride and take the MSF course. I'd highly recommend it for many reasons. Triumph also recommends it. The course teaches all kinds of riding, cornering, and braking techniques on a closed course. With that background in place one of the first thngs I did was to practice a full on PANIC stop with front and rear brakes on. All of you PLEASE ride safely I appreciate the brotherhood of not only R3 people but all of you on the highway. P.S. I still like W.O.T. (wide open throttle) even at my age. So don't take me wrong. Big smiles and safe miles. Marty:cool:

I'm glad you're ok, it much better to slide and even be thrown than to stop abruptly on the back or side of a vehicle or other solid object.

I do believe highly in the MSF course. I was obligated to go to the class since it's a military requirement. I'm glad they push the class, I was in a similar incident the day after I took the class. Someone changed lanes right in front of me from the left as I was glancing over my shoulder to see if I had room to change lanes to the right. The light in front of us changed and he slammed on the brakes. I fell right into the training. Applied just the right amount of front and rear brakes. When I noticed that wasn't going to be enough, I immediately went to the next step of letting off the brakes, swerved around the vehicle (splitting traffic. Not the preferred place to be but better than on his tailgate). Reapplied the brakes once vertical again, and came to a stop. After that, I played it by ear and flipped off the driver, threw down the kickstand and started dismounting. Before I had the chance to throw my leg over the bike, he pulled a u turn and took off, knowing he could have killed me. Those type of incidents and the loss of a couple friends a couple years ago is the reason for my signature.

Back