37 years later...

travelguy said:
any former yamaha rd 400 riders out there ? still consider it one of the first cafe racers.

Yes, a bit. In the mid-seventies. One borrowed from a Californian friend of mine who, much to his chagrin, had been promoted to S-E Illinois... flat land and corn fields...long town-to-town distances... the strongly enforced double-nickel speed limit... and, worse yet... so few curves to hug. Quite frankly, the Yam was pointless in such an environment.... :eek: Jamie

An even smaller world...

So, this morning, I rode to Vetroz, about 100 miles away from Geneva, to attend the guy's good-bye party, 37 years after our last meeting. He introduced me to other loyal (mostly Harley) customers of his he had invited. And, lo and behold, one of them happened to be the guy he had resold my BSA to, in June 1969 !

An absolute disaster, the guy told me. Two major gearbox failures and a fatal engine explosion in less than 2'000 miles (the bike had around 12'000 miles on it by then). He remembered all the circumstances. He also said that he had copiously detested me (without ever knowing me:eek: ) for having, although indirectly, inflicted such a heap of british manure on him.

We reminisced for one hour ("but the BSA's roadholding was rather good, wasn't it?"... etc.) , had a couple of glasses of Valaisan white wine under the excuse of nostalgy and eventually (so to speak:) ) decided we were friends.

Jamie;)

Back