1st gear trouble

HeR3tic

Living Legend
The bike is hard to get into 1st gear from a dead stop. Indicator shows it to be out of neutral but there's no pull (forward motion). I have to test to see if it's in gear each time I start off. It goes into 1st easily when down shifting on the roll. I'm thinking clutch adjustments??

It's pretty common for the tranny to be tight when new. After the break in oil is changed and replaced with synthetic (it is a new bike right?) it will help out. You may mention it to the dealer though so they will double check the cable. I have 6000 miles on mine and it is still sometimes hard to get all the way into first. When new a few times I had started to take off and once the clutch was just about fully released it would pop back into neutral. It helps to roll the bike backward or forward to help it engage. I have also become more, not forceful but, "deliberate" when putting it into first. It does improve after more miles though.

Adjustment helped

I had the same problem with my '05 but like Pig9r said, I took it in for the 500, got synthetic oil and had the guys at the shop adjust the dad-blamed thing and peachy keen!

It does get better with miles. It seems to get better as the bike warms up also. When I first leave the house I gently double clutch it or roll the bike a little like the Pig man said and it slips right in. It seems to be a little Rocket quirk that turns out to be somewhat normal.

I almost didn't take mine off of the dealers lot when I put in first gear. He said it would losen up with time and the change to synthetic oil. He was right. It 5 K it shifts great. You will always have the distance in the pattern of a bumper pool table, but that is part of the beauty of a Rocket.

I had the same problem with my bike when purchased new last year. I was told that it would improve with time and it has. Although still not perfect, it seems to be getting better and better with increased miles. Try letting out the clutch slowly and pressing down on the shift lever at the same time. Whenever mine still acts up, this seems to produce the normal click into gear that is missing. It should go into gear at the beginning of the clutch engagement point. After it does, just pull the lever back again and you are ready to take-off normally. When I took my bike in for the 500 mile service, the Service Manager showed me this trick, and it works everytime.

Last edited:
Me too

Glade it wasn't just me with the 1st gear prob. I was told the same thing it is tight and will break in over time. Whats a cluch any ways??? I just use it to start. (just kidding)

First Change-over > Semi or Full Synthetic.

Thanks all for the encouraging words: give it some time. Speaking of first oil change and change-over to full synthetic. I was unaware that the Dealer installed anything otherthan Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at the very beginning. I'm waiting with bated-breath for the arrival, hopefully this afternoon, on my Scotts filter. I'm running a tad bit over due on my first oil change with $$$ Mobile 1 Synthetic at the ready. I was being led to believe that this second oil should be, or it would be best if it were, a semi-synthetic:confused:

Anyone:confused:

Back