Daryl, if Michelin made a tire that fit on my bike (besides car) I'd think I was having a wet dream.
That's why you sold the Rocket and bought a T-Bird ain't it? It was the Michelin's wasn't it?

I knew there was a **** good reason. :D

Curious, I just went to one of my dealers(both the same really) today.
The shop HMFIC showed me the Triumph charts. The valve "check" is $400 labor sans any parts.
Most of the service is a check this but he said it's a lot cheaper to just do the parts while it's all apart.
That makes sense if you haven't already done stuff like the oil.
Oh, he said Triumph is supporting Castrol oil in addition to the mobil

Daryl, if Michelin made a tire that fit on my bike (besides car) I'd think I was having a wet dream.
That's why you sold the Rocket and bought a T-Bird ain't it? It was the Michelin's wasn't it?

I knew there was a **** good reason. :D

No, the R3T never had Michelins. I bought the T-Bird and sold the R3T because the R3T was a POS that lived in the shop and the T-Bird kicks its ass in every category you want to discuss other than the power department. But, that power doesn't do one much good when it's constantly strapped to the dealer's lift. :D

Hellfire, I'm biding my time till the next tire change also. I'm going dark then. "Local " guy, that I trust, will do it all for me. He will need a disclaimer signed that says that I am not using a "factory recommended" replacement. I understand.

Hellfire:

I bought my bike with about 11,00o miles on it and the former owner at not had the 10,000 mile service done. I planned to after buying it, but never got around to it. At about 14,000 miles my bike starting running poorly...very bad gas mileage (about 23 mpg), sluggish acceleration, etc. so I decided to go ahead and get the service done. I called all three Dallas-area Triumph dealers, and all quoted me $600-$700 for the 10K service (including valve adjustment). When I got the bike back it ran like new....

Total cost was about $730, but I had them install new brake pads that I provided as well as install new plugs while they were into the bike. The tech told me that all but one of the valves DID need adjusting, and they also replaced the fuel filter as well as all fluids. I figure I am good to go until 25-30K now. Was worth the $$ if you ask me.

I was given a quote in Salt Lake City of $400 for the valve adjustment this weekend from a dealer. I have a private shop I've used for several years that has a Triumph mechanic that will do it for about the same but with all the additional checks and replacements included

Dealer gave me a price of $600-$800 to check valves. Couldn't afford that so tackled it myself....If they told me $200 I would wonder if it was getting done! It's a time consuming job.

I know the dealer tech quite well-when he did my bike at 10000 it came to just under 800.00 One valve needed adjustment-also had brakes serviced (new DOT) and pads, coolent drain and flush, rear drive GL-5 replaced, and all the "computer" stuff that's done thru the underseat connection. Plugs also. Besides that, he goes over EVERY nut and bolt-I know as I was in the shop with him. He spent well over 3 hours on my bike and then I had to go-he was still on it. Filters, too, and oil.

I changed a lot of tires in my day and went to change the tires on my old (now gone 05 R3 standard. Front tire went off (and on) without a hitch. Rear tire..... Whoa... that ain't gonna happen! That tire is too darned tight. There is no way I was going to remove or install that tire, wspecially with just hand tools. I took it to a dealer and it took them 30 minutes to remove the old (stock) tire with a machine.

I now have an R3T and have not needed a tire change yet. I am hoping the 180 comes off a bit easier then the 240. In terms of the valve check? I am undecided as to do it myself or have it done. I have done valve adjustments on many other modern Triumphs and it is a PITA. $830 sounds steep though. I am assuming that includes oil/filter change, lubing cables, and other minor maintenance bits. Why don't you aske them how much to just do valves? You can do the oil and filter. :D

Back