Who rides your bike?

Great subject for discussion here.I would not let just anybody ride,certainly less than 5 people in 35 yrs. would be qualified in handling my beast.One the other hand I have not had any requests which confirms the intimidation factor.One guy wanted to see if he could pull the handle bar to get it off the kickstand...not.I just can't get over how small other bikes look in comparison.I mean there are some really trashed up bikes that ride around here and I wont designate brand but I for one wouldn't ride a grubby machine.I guess brand makes up for it .:confused:

First off, nobody rides my Rocket. My last bike was a Triumph Trophy and my brother wanted to ride it. He is 5'2" and couldn't reach the ground, he was on tip toes just to hold it up. I asked him if he was tall enough and he said "Dave I have never been tall enough to ride any bike I have ever had" so I let him go and he came back unscathed. I let my dad ride the Trophy and he forgot it had a clutch and turned it over in a ditch. Good for 800 bills. It's funny, he knew it had a clutch when he took off but didn't know it had one when he stopped. Figure that one out.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

I have had some interesting experiences over the years. Most of my numerous bikes I traded in on another but one in particular I remember. It was a Yamaha 750 Seca. I had it tricked up with the Youshimara crap. It was fast, real fast. I sold it to an older guy who was in love with it (never fall in love with a vehicle, vehicles can't return the love).

I delivered it to his house. He paid me cash, I liked that. Little did I know his only experience was a moped. I dropped it off, he promptly got on went down his drive, across the street and hit a tree, point blank in first gear at who knows what RPM.

He bent the bars, trashed the header and squared the front wheel. I almost cried. There wasn't a mark on it before that. My buddy who rode over with me looked at me and said "It's not yours anymore, you have the money. Sucks to be him". We left on his bike. I hope he sold it. It was way too much for him to handle.

I've only let one person ride the R3. My good friend Jim Hoefflin. Jim has a Softail Deuce (I think). He wanted to ride the R3 and Jim is a very cautious responsible rider. He took it around the block and came back smiling. Knowing Jimmy, it never went over 30.

No one and I mean no one rides the sidecar outfit. I even have a pre-printed release in case it ever has to go in for service that the the servicing dealer cannot, under any circumstances ride the bike. Bikes with sidecars have very peculiar handling characteristics and someone with no experience will promptly wreck the outfit. There is a rather large learning curve associated with an outfit. Besides, I'd be pissed off and in the suing mood if some uninitiated wrench spinner wrecked my baby. It would cost upward of 20K to replace just the physical parts. There is no placeable value on the hours it took me to build it.

Back