What Are You Using?

It doesn't matter what you use. If the fabric is not WATERPROOF as in Gortex, rubber or plastiic, you will get wet in any rain other than light showers. No "grease" or silicone spray will insure dryness. I've been doing cross country riding for 40 years and none of them work for real...NONE! I used to grease my leather boots, put them in a warm oven to get the waterproofing agent to get into the leather and the first major rain...wet feet! Silicone sprays and "waterproofing" liquids do fine for 20 minutes and then the inevitable feeling of water against the skin.
Now I use Gortex lined boots and jacket and am totally dry regardless of weather. Just MHO.

For serious long wet rides - OVERSUIT. If you can afford a good 3 layer Goretex suit (not a 2 layer plus drop liner - the drop liners can/will catch on the leathers and will eventually rip) - do it. Forget frills - the fewer seams and stitch holes the better - Taped seams work but the tape can leak eventually. Personally I'm more a fan of surplus military Goretex gear. Rubber and plastic work better than Goretex for shorter periods ime - but tend to form condensation on the inside if used for long periods.

Years back I always had my leathers "proofed" - Good leather food and silicone "sealed". Worked fine for moderate runs around the UK's south coast even in winter but after one LONG run (Innsbruck to my parents) at the end of some holidays - my leathers were so washed out - I threw them away. This was my own stupid fault as I had waterproofs and made the mistake of underestimating a trans-European weather front as a local shower.

Not to mention that there's nothing more uncomfortable than putting wet leathers back on.

I allways have my rain gear with me I have a zip in liner for my M2R jacket and some cheep plastic type boot couvers then I have cut an old pair of ruber type rian gear off just below my knees these go on over the boot covers and are held too my leg with a couple wraps off elctric tape then my charhart rian pants go on . The reason for the extra pice below the knee is that wen I sit down on the bike the rain pants come up over the boots and they then fill up with water . I have gone a 100 miles in a downpour and not bin wet when I got home

What do I use? I use the....

....Doppler radar. If I see rain; I hide. :exit:

Seriously though; If I get caught in it; I just clench my jaw and ride through it. I'll dry out eventually.

I LIKE IT!!! That's my kind of solution.

Quit whinin', grit your teeth, and ride on!

However, I have to agree with barbagris that wet leathers are like climbing into the slimy belly of a cold beast (my neck just shivered thinking about it). I'm not too worried about the boots, Though. I 'm wearing a nice pair of Danner's with Gortex lining and a little insulation. I've never had wet feet while wearing them.

That said, my post was initiated with the idea of keeping this waaay too expensive investment in tanned goatskin in the best condition I can for as long as I can. The solution I want to try next is Flip's gooey stuff. I just don't fit into "off the shelf" clothing like rain suits and I haven't found any cordura I like or that fits me even close to normally.

And it's hard to completely duct tape yourself - especially when you're wearing leathers.

Oops, I didn't see your question on the Blackrock product Keith. I believe Flip advertises that it has carnuba waxes in it so it should repel but I can't say how well. It conditions the leather better than anything I've ever used but I don't believe it will seal it like some of the other products on the market. I don't don the rain suit unless I am riding into a severe rainstorm. I believe John, Rudy and I all suited up down the road a bit after we departed from your place because we were going to hit it pretty good.

I generally wear First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and pants during the winter anyway.

One more thing about riding in the really heavy rain....A rainsuit with a HOOD is essential. I don't care how good your rain jacket is, if you don't have a hood attached to put under your helmet, water will get in around the collar. I've been thinking about getting some Aerostitch rain gear but they don't (and won't because I called them) make a jacket that is hooded.

Usually not enough rain around here to bother/worry. Showers, just push on through.
But if going far and expecting a douche, I wear my Danner Gortex boots and Danner leather boot rub. FEET stay dry.
Regular weather Jacket is TEXTILE and GORTEX and works for at least a couple of hours of downpours and road rain.
I found some Gortex rain overpants for GOLF and they are in the bag if it looks like the heavens won't wait.

Danner has a boot "polish" for their boots that guarantees weather proof, if nothing else used on the boots.
Gortex lined. I have the basic Thinsulate liner.

I used them in Alaska when I was stationed there and they are invincible (standing in water/streams) and warm.
-10 F on occasion. Usually freezing and wet during breakup everyday.
They also had a heavier lined thinsulate for the cold.

Back