What Are You Using?

MountainMan

Supercharged
Ride
'08 R3T - Ol' Blue
Unlike the rest of the country, the weather here in the Pacific Northwest is crappy, with continued crappy for the forseeable future. I've decided to oil up the leathers while waiting for decent weather to wear them. The stuff I'm using is from the manufacturer (Langlitz). It's kind of a pain in the ass because it stays really shiny for at least a week after application (I'm talkin' Pimp-Daddy shiny). I'm curious what the rest of you fashion-conscious characters are using on your hides to keep them waterproofed and the leather conditioned.

Thanks for your responses.

actually flip of flipmeister.com fame
has a product that's the best I've ever seen or used.
let me see if I can find it real quick.
It comes in little jars about the size of cold cream
if I remember my moms cold cream correctly
and was about $3.00 per.
Good stuff,
hand made by an old farmer or something...
At least it use to be, probably outsourced to China now.
Nope, jar says Illinoise.
yea, it's called Blackrock leather N rich.
Apparently they have a website too.
blackrockleathernrich.com
Good stuff, not to shiny or greasy feeling, just soaks in and keeps em new lookin.
or rather "old", but well cared for.
i own no stock in this company and this is an unsolicited commercial
for their product, because it's the best I've ever used.
skip

Gotta see a pic of that! :shock:

They look like a bad idea of a '70's Disco night out. It takes about a week for that stuff to soak into the skins.

Attachments

• DSCN1198.JPG
    DSCN1198.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1200.JPG
    DSCN1200.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 48
Flipmeister's Blackrock leather conditioner. It's the best stuff I've ever used. I just bought three more tins from him.

I remember seeing that stuff on Flip's website when I ordered a bunch of other stuff. At the time, I was awash in the Langlitz stuff. I still have enough Langlitz stuff for at least one more application, and likely two more. I should be ready for some more leather goo by the end of this year's ridin' season, unless I want to use it on the car seats.

Does the Blackrock stuff have any water repellent factor, or is it just for replacing oils in the leather? The Langlitz stuff ends up with a significant waterproofing "shell" (for lack of a better word). I can't use it on gloves or car seats or other such items as there is a gummy, sticky aspect that goos up things like handlebar grips.Great for waterproofing, but not fpor all aspects of leather care.

I use Obenauf's. An Idaho Wildland Firefighter came up with it. Beeswax, etc. Water repellant, conditioner, lasts a long time, resists chemicals, abrasions, etc. I got mine at a Whistle Workwear.
I've used warmed Huberd's shoe grease for years on my work boots with good results, but the water repellancy wasn't enough to overcome the smell, etc, on a full set of leathers.

gorge,
Never really put it to the test.
i don't get wet, it "seems" to repel water,
but it don't bead up like a simonize wax job.
So I would say it just conditions the leather
and "resists" water, not repel it.

Back