The saga continues . . .

Thanks for all the support folks. How the dealer and Triumph handles the next week will have everything to do with my next steps.

I talked to a person at the open house that went through a buy-back on a 2006 with tranny issues and used the proceeds to buy a 2008. One of his buddies is on his second 2006 with similar transmission issues.

It would be interesting to have those cases (and others) subpoenaed for evidence. I certainly had enough witnesses for my situation at the open house.

I've considered several scenarios - -

1. Radiator gets repaired. I pickup my old bike and everything ends happily everafter with no further mechanical gremlins. Yeah, right. There won't be a moment that I don't wonder what the next problem will be. I'm just fortunate none of these failures occurred on my many trips into deliverance territory. I'm gettin' enough of "Here little Piggy" inside the Houston city limits, thank you very much!

2. Radiator gets repaired and bike is restored. I take it home, mount the Corbins, swap out my Odyssey battery with the old factory one. Remove the GPS harness, and take the bike directly to the Yamaha dealership for trade-in on a Stratoliner. I lose the value of the extended warranty and the brand new highway bars + footpegs just installed on the Rocket. I stand to lose a big wad of cash but gain peace of mind on that option.

3. After getting the bike back, I demand a trade-in on a new 2008 Classic (at zero out-of-pocket cost!) and have my tins and accessories moved over to the 2008. I could attempt to transfer the extended warranty to the new bike. That way, I get a new bike, but get to keep the paint scheme and matching Corbin bags. This would be my preferred option.

4. Dealer and Triumph are uncooperative. Pursue legal recourse to the maximum extent allowed by law. Damages will include loss of use of the vehicle for 5+ months, loss of resale value of the asset, losses due to the insurance expense for which the vehicle was not available to me, travel expense to/from the dealer for the trailer pickup/bike pickup/bike dropoff/aborted pickup. Lastly, the failure of the second gear the first time was due to a series of manufacturing defects (as evidenced by the upgrade kit being supplied by Triumph). Fortunately, it did not result in seizure of the drivetrain and any bodily injury. The problem with the transmission the second time was due to Triumph sending the wrong gear replacement to the dealer. I was fortunate again that this problem did not result in any bodily injury. The failure of the radiator needs to be investigated next week to find out the root cause. But it is clear that the radiator failed between the time I took the bike in for the second transmission repair and when I attempted to pick it up yesterday.

I have kept meticulous records of all my phone conversations with the dealer and with Triumph, plus all service records. (A lesson learned over 22 years ago in an unrelated case that was quickly closed by having good notes).

I sincerely hope it doesn't come down to option 4. I really do just want to have a reliable good running Rocket for many years to come. The recent events on my machine just simply don't bode well for the long term reliability and one way or another we are going to have to part ways. If option 4 comes to pass, that will certainly end my relationship with the dealer and Triumph.

Stay tuned . . .

Back