I had a 900 Thruxton , couple o' years back---
I would have killed for this sort of bike ,--back in the 60s.... Seemed a bit puny to me now tho'.
although I do like the cafe'-racer style.

Interesting write up, thanks for that! I was tempted at looking at a 2009 Thruxton sitting at my triumph dealership.... but I dont think I woudl find it very comfortable for longer rides, and the fact its so gutless is definitely a bummer... I know what its like to ride 800-1000 cc v-twins and yeah they dont make much power.. I would feel cheated. Thats what I get for owning bikes with nothing under 1700cc's... I am still trying to find out what the perfect accomplice to a Rocket would be in the Garage. I keep looking over at a Concours or a Suzuki Bandit.. something sporty but can also go for miles. And then at the same time I really miss having a V-Twin to have fun with.

Hmm. That's actually a great idea. Let's see what's available (I'm assuming you mean the previous Gen because the new one is seriously expensive)

I see some of the Gen 2 VMAXes listed for around $10K on Craiglist now, still very expensive. Some of the first Gen bikes are listed from $3K to $7K. Newer is more manuverable but the first guys are just as fast in a straight line.

Back