Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I was at the Triumph dealer today, big sale going to try and clear out the 2014s and make way for the 2015s.

I spotted a nice little Thruxton in a amazing green with some aftermarket parts already on it as dealer install, including slipons.

Decided to take it for a test ride, the salesman rode a dayton 675r with me.

Pros of the Thrux:
Great off idle torque.
Great riding position, more relaxed than a real sport bike, aggressive enough to inspire confidence.
Fantastic sound
Good bite on the brakes, good balance, very comfortable position.

Cons:
Slow... slow as balls... I think a VW bug is faster, no BS, its the slowest thing I have every ridden.
You can feel the weight, more than even on the rocket 3.
Narrow is cool on aggressive bikes, but narrow to the point you feel like your knees are touching... akward.
Did I mention it's S L O W. Like a big burst of torque and then falls flat on its face after 3k rpm.

We got to where we were going and decided to switch, I was itching to ride the new 675R.

I am not doing a pros/cons list for the 675r. It is a phenomenal bike. By a huge margin it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. No vibrations, ever, anywhere in the power band. Cornering in 1st gear really leaning it over and rolling on, totally confidence inspiring. Absolutely flawless fueling, perfection, perfect... PERFECT. The only slight negative I can assign to the bike is the size, it's small, and I can't see the tach because of where my head is without looking down through the windshield :p I guess another con would be the comparatively tiny amount of power on tap when you are accustomed to a liter bike, let alone the R3. All that said, I am buying one, it is only a matter of time. If I could only ever own one bike at a time, and my wife didn't want to go pillion ever, I think the 675R is what would be in the garage. ****ing sucker I am for even getting on it, I am in love!

I was at the Triumph dealer today, big sale going to try and clear out the 2014s and make way for the 2015s.

I spotted a nice little Thruxton in a amazing green with some aftermarket parts already on it as dealer install, including slipons.

Decided to take it for a test ride, the salesman rode a dayton 675r with me.

Pros of the Thrux:
Great off idle torque.
Great riding position, more relaxed than a real sport bike, aggressive enough to inspire confidence.
Fantastic sound
Good bite on the brakes, good balance, very comfortable position.

Cons:
Slow... slow as balls... I think a VW bug is faster, no BS, its the slowest thing I have every ridden.
You can feel the weight, more than even on the rocket 3.
Narrow is cool on aggressive bikes, but narrow to the point you feel like your knees are touching... akward.
Did I mention it's S L O W. Like a big burst of torque and then falls flat on its face after 3k rpm.

We got to where we were going and decided to switch, I was itching to ride the new 675R.

I am not doing a pros/cons list for the 675r. It is a phenomenal bike. By a huge margin it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. No vibrations, ever, anywhere in the power band. Cornering in 1st gear really leaning it over and rolling on, totally confidence inspiring. Absolutely flawless fueling, perfection, perfect... PERFECT. The only slight negative I can assign to the bike is the size, it's small, and I can't see the tach because of where my head is without looking down through the windshield :p I guess another con would be the comparatively tiny amount of power on tap when you are accustomed to a liter bike, let alone the R3. All that said, I am buying one, it is only a matter of time. If I could only ever own one bike at a time, and my wife didn't want to go pillion ever, I think the 675R is what would be in the garage. ****ing sucker I am for even getting on it, I am in love!
ITS a little uncomfy sport bike just like the rest of the 600CC ****** Rockets but if thats what u like get one

Ya it's gona end up parked next to the R3R soon, I'm going to hold out a bit and wait till the '15s arrive so I can pressure them more on the price.

Ya it's gona end up parked next to the R3R soon, I'm going to hold out a bit and wait till the '15s arrive so I can pressure them more on the price.
I would buy a larger 1000cc sport bike as thy weigh alsmost the same but have much more HP

In the last 6 weeks I've been fortunate enough to have been able to ride every bike in the Triumph line up except for the Trophy. For 2 weeks I've been riding a different bike home every night and chose a Thruxton twice to bring home. I'm not sure what was wrong with the one you got to ride or maybe you were somehow expecting a Classic twin to somehow perform like a super sport, but the Thruxton I was riding was plenty fast. It accelerated well, handled great and with TORS fitted sounded amazing. I just loved the retro feel and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of riding it.

I do agree with you about the 675 though. I presume you're referring to the Daytona but the Street Triple is every bit as awe inspiring and much more comfortable to boot.

Beats me why some people criticise bikes for being what they are. Classics are no more sport bikes than cruisers are. Saying the Thruxton wasn't as fast as a Daytona is a bit like saying a Rocket isn't as good off road as a Tiger.

I'd love to have a Thruxton in my garage, but not before I got a Scrambler. I'd also like a Speed triple and a Tiger 800 to go along with my Rocket and the Street Triple. Why? Because they're all bloody good at what they were designed for and none if them pretend to do everything.

I can't wait till you do brother...

Nice write up, short and sweet. I am entertaining the idea of a Scrambler someday. I miss my dirtbikes...

If you do, the Arrow 2 into 1 is a must (minus the baffle of course). Talk about personality.

Back