Stuck seat latch

Lusiphur

Just this guy, you know?
Joined
Jun 30, 2017
Messages
33
Location
Washington
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
Just as it says. I removed the seat and the key felt very tight for some reason. I managed to open it without breaking the key but now the latch is retracted and the seat won't lock in place. Any advice or perhaps manual help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
 
I should say, pic is no longer accurate and I need to update. Current bike is a '21 GT
 
well that is a little new for what i know.
dual or single seat?
i would hit the seat with my fist(while turning key) to help my key turn easier .
on my dual seat i fixed the rear latch so it is always open so i only had the key latch to worry about.
if it is that hard you better fix it b4 you put that seat back on.
 
My 2014 seat stuck a few years after I had it. The key was tight and hard to turn. I sprayed WD40 on the key and lock then I put my body weight on the seat pressing down as I turned the key and the seat disengaged. I then did as Atomsplitter stated and all was good. Just a thought.
 
Dual seat. I wasn't aware there's any other latch than the key latch. It's the latch that retracts with the key. I'll try a rubber hammer while playing with it.
 
Dual seat. I wasn't aware there's any other latch than the key latch. It's the latch that retracts with the key. I'll try a rubber hammer while playing with it.
there may only be one on the late models.
see if your key works smooth with the seat not on there that will tell you if you have a problem with key or latch cable or just pressure or latch needs lubed.
 
there may only be one on the late models.
see if your key works smooth with the seat not on there that will tell you if you have a problem with key or latch cable or just pressure or latch needs lubed.
The key turns altho with more resistance than I'd expect. I can also hear a sound coming from the right side of the latch, probably the cable moving but no movement or latch.
 
The key turns altho with more resistance than I'd expect. I can also hear a sound coming from the right side of the latch, probably the cable moving but no movement or latch.
My experience is with the early bikes so advise may be wrong.
On mine the little shaft is round and pointed on end with a slot cut near the point. Now you can see though there blade that slides into that shaft to lock it down and you can move it freely when lubed
 

Attachments

  • 20260926_055603.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20260926_055507.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20260926_055418.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 3