Starting Issue (Again)

tdragger

Living Legend
Ok, folks. Back again with my starting issues.

Background: New Scorpion Battery (< 6 mths), upgraded starter motor (1.4kw Denso), upgraded negative battery cable, relocated ignition switch to left side (aux socket position)

Symptoms: On occasion when I get on the bike, turn the key on, wait for the sweep, sidestand up, clutch pulled, and hit the starter, the lights go out and there's a noticeable click/clunk from down under where the starter is. To me is sounds like the solenoid doing its thing. Unfortunately, no joy with the starter turning.

If I let the clutch out with in gear, I can rock back and forth a little, pull the clutch and hit the starter and everything is fine. It fires right up like there's nothing wrong. If the bike is in neutral, it will not affect the start. It's almost like the drivetrain needs to turn just a bit to get some contact made so that it will start.

Tests/Actions so far:
  1. Checked the engine off switch (kill switch) just in case.
  2. Cleaned and checked condition of negative battery cable.
  3. Pulled, cleaned and reinstalled the crank position sensor.
  4. Pulled 1.4kw starter and put old OEM starter (1.2kw) back on.
  5. Pulled and bypassed clutch switch.
None of these actions has made any difference.

Since I could rock the bike a little and get contact made, I thought I'd pull the gear position sensor. I've never looked at it before. Here's what I found:

It had a bit of grease on it that I cleaned off. My question to the group is whether this gps looks normal or not. The groove, particularly near the 1st gear position seems to be quite worn. Could this be my problem?

On my 08 it did similar to yours where I had to rock it in gear, soon after that neutral light would come on when it wanted to. Pulled the sensor and it looked the same as yours, ordered a new one and it fix the problems.

Actually the 08 sensor is slightly different just looked at the old one. I do have a spare one if you need to trouble shoot, it's an 05 one that looks just like yours. Let me know and I can have it in the mail tomorrow. It has some wear but less than the one in the picture.

Thanks, Head. That's what I was hoping for/afraid of. It's still rideable so I'll button it up and get a new one ordered tomorrow. They're relatively inexpensive so hopefully it will be available.

I had a similar issue the other day, getting ready for a ride I wheeled the bike out of the shed, sidestand was down, ign on, did sweep etc, pulled clutch in..... only relay click, ok so i checked kill switch, ign off then back on.
same thing, only relay click.
whipped the seat off started looking around, got on the ground and was checking the starter wires and then @Mittzy wandered over and said "is it in gear"....... looked at gauges and no neutral light..... no where to hide from that one...... it wasn't quite in neutral ..... flicked the gear lever, light on and all good....... jeez I felt like a wally !!!!

Back