SS1000 Run in the works

tdragger

Living Legend
I'm in the early planning stages for an Iron Butt SS1000 run in late September. The plan is to leave Fredericksburg, VA at 10pm on Friday night, September 26, head south on I95 to Richmond, then west on I64 through Charlottesville to I81 South. Route will continue on I81 South to to where it meets up with I40 West and then continue through Tennessee on the way to the finish in Benton, Arkansas sometime on Saturday afternoon. If I still have my wits about me, I'll continue on towards Dallas to stay with my family there.

I'll need to rest up on Sunday and then ride down to Houston for a conference on Monday morning. Then on Thursday afternoon I'll be heading out of Houston to ride up to Leander, TX (NW Austin) to see my oldest daughter perform (Drum Major for her High School Marching Band) on Friday night. Saturday has me riding back up to Arlington (near DFW airport) for a marching contest and then on to my parents outside Bonham that night.

Another rest day on Sunday, October 5, before heading out early on Monday morning for the ride back to Virginia. I hope to make it to eastern Tennessee that evening. If time allows I hope to ride the Dragon on Tuesday morning before grabbing the interstate back to home.

Looks to be about a 3,500 round trip. I'm sure I'll be saddle sore by the time it's done.

Here's a link to the route basics:

from:Mine Rd @38.249182, -77.493963 to:I-295 N @37.681180, -77.539320 to:benton, ar to:bonham, tx to:1200 Louisiana St., Houston, TX 77002 (Hyatt Hotels & Resorts: Hyatt Regency Houston) to:High Chaparral Dr, Leander, Williamson, Texas 78641, United

Last edited:
If you didn't have such a jammed packed schedule, I'd try to hook up with you when you are in Arlington. Sounds like fun, in a painful kinda way:)

Depending on what time my daughter has to march on Saturday, I may take the longer loop out on US183 to US281. At Hamilton I'd turn on TX 22 to go up through Cranfills Gap and Meridian. Then TX 174 to Cleburne and on into Ft Worth. Maybe we can meet up for a while. I'll know more later on in the month and post an update.

are you making a documented run or just seeing if you can do it? You'll need to fill out a form and will need sponsors fore and aft. You'll also need to keep all gas receipts.

I inadvertently nearly completed a SS1000. (I was 140 miles short) Anything passed 500 miles and it all pretty much feels the same.

I'm attempting a documented run. I have the forms downloaded from Iron Butt and have located a fire station in Benton, AR for the final sign-off. My sister and bro-in-law are both Blue Knights and can also sign off on the finish. The plan is for them to meet me in Benton and ride with me into Tx. I may need some witnesses for the departure. Maybe you and George might be up for it? btw, are you getting any sleep with the little one? Congrats! Now instead of throwing dog poop over the fence at George, you can throw poopy diapers!

Just found out that the conference I was riding to was cancelled due to Hurricane Ike. This, of course, has cancelled my drive to Tx. Plus the fact that I won't have my Roc back from the shop until early next week (cam chain/paint can rattle problems), I don't think it's a good idea to ride. I'll be taking the flying tube down to see family instead for a shorter visit. Bummed.

Back