Squeaky front brakes

A couple of things:

Tomo is right. The spray on stuff works. I get it at school. It's not sold in any store I've ever seen. It's a jobber item.

Don't use regular petroleum based grease on the pads. The rubber puck seals don't tolerate regular grease, however, you can get brake freindly grease at Murrays or PEP Boys.

Another good alternative is di-electric grease which won't damage the rubber brake components.

Finally, if a 1500 psi pressure washer could force any dirt past your puck seals, they'd be leaking brake fluid long before you washed them. I probably shouldn't say this, but my pressure washer is 3500 psi @185 degrees and Iv'e never had a problem. Of course I don't use a zero degree tip which you can cut a 2x4 with and peel paint real quick like. I use a 30 degree tip and stand back a little.

Pressure washers are like airless spray outfits. If you really knew how dangerous they were, you'd have the utmost respect for them. I know a fella who had to have his arm amputated below the elbow from an injection injury from a pressure washer.

I have a freind tha had a flex hose on a pistol grip grease gun that almost lost his hand when th flex hose burst in his hand. who would believe grease from a grease gun would penatrate skin.:eek:

Solved!

Bought some of this:

Applied thin layer to back of brake pads. Let sit for about an hour and reinstalled pads.

Problem 100 percent solved.

Mine squeaked a bit but has pretty much stopped.

Cars do the same thing, the squeak comes from the pads vibrating in the carriers (some manufacturers call these torque members). One way to stop it is to remove the pads and apply some disk brake grease to the very ends of the pads where they would contact the carriers. Also put a little on the back on the pads where the pistons contact the pads. This helps a little with the vibration but what it really does is lubricate the pads from any surface that they are mounted in. Now, when the pads vibrate they no longer rub against a dry mounting surface and it kills the squeak.

You don't want to slather this grease all over so it gets on the pad surface or the rotors. You can get disk brake grease from any auto parts store, it is usually high temp copper or mollybendium, sometimes its not cheap.

B&G also makes a liquid you can paint on the surface of the pads and it works like a charm The trouble is B&G only sells to shops, so Harry Homeowner would have to find a shop that would let him use some...

Another trick that I've used in the car world is a single strip of Duct Tape on the back of the pad. After a few heat ups on the pad, most of the tape burns off but the strings in the tape remain in place absorbing the friction vibrations caused when braking.

*sorry for digging up an old thread*

Last edited:
I had the same thing. I took emery paper to my front pads when I changed my front tire. To my surprise it took it away. I no longer have the squeal. It's been over 5,000 miles.

JR

Back