Spray off rear tyre

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Cobber of mine has the 'R' model and we have installed a tail tidy...looks real nice..its a 'Lamonster; product and great quality.
Last week he had a week away on his bike and encountered heavy rain. The spray from the rear wheel has been like a rooster tail and a fair amount has made its way under the pillion seat and run down into the battery area. This has caused some concern as we dont want wet around the electrics.
We are playing with ideas to create a rear fender...albeit a short one...to counter this..

P.S..the rear shot shows some elcheapo indicators we threw on to get the bike mobile...been changed now.
119442128_10221381286379957_7000311497796799532_o.jpg
20200530_145059.jpg

I used the old spray guard off the satellite arm.....between the fender and the plate/lights bracket. Works. Needs a good rigid support bracket to go up under the seat and bolt to the four pannier mount points.... NOT just to the underseat plastic pan.

Also a big help is the genuine luggage tray behind the backrest... with a matching sheet of thin metal under it to block the gaps. 1mm aluminium sheet??

Nowhere much left for spray to come up after that.

Glad I'm not the only one with a problem with leaves.....

we are on the same page there Ruzzle....i was thinking about a plate under the tray too...also that guard....maybe a steel strip on the inside of the pan as a strongback?...dunno yet..

If your plate/lights thing/whatever is just attached to the plastic underseat pan, it will dance around like crazy and your mates will giggle and the cops may not. The plastic pan is nowhere near rigid enough. It will NOT carry the sprayguard as well.

I made a plate from 4mm alloy checkerplate for the sprayguard and plate/lights, then two 3mm x 30mm steel strips to support that and attach the whole caboose to the four M8 pannier mounting threaded holes, with bolts and spacers through holes cut in the underseat pan ( as you would if fitting OEM pannier mount brackets.)

Lot of mucking around to get the bends right in the steel strips!

Ended up with the 4mm alloy plate after first trying a pressed steel "fender brace" thing, then 3mm alloy plate, all still too flexible. Hours later......!!!

Over engineered, I s'pose. But no wriggle, and you could just about lift the bike with it!

If your plate/lights thing/whatever is just attached to the plastic underseat pan, it will dance around like crazy and your mates will giggle and the cops may not. The plastic pan is nowhere near rigid enough. It will NOT carry the sprayguard as well.

I made a plate from 4mm alloy checkerplate for the sprayguard and plate/lights, then two 3mm x 30mm steel strips to support that and attach the whole caboose to the four M8 pannier mounting threaded holes, with bolts and spacers through holes cut in the underseat pan ( as you would if fitting OEM pannier mount brackets.)

Lot of mucking around to get the bends right in the steel strips!

Ended up with the 4mm alloy plate after first trying a pressed steel "fender brace" thing, then 3mm alloy plate, all still too flexible. Hours later......!!!

Over engineered, I s'pose. But no wriggle, and you could just about lift the bike with it!
pictures?

I used the old spray guard off the satellite arm.....between the fender and the plate/lights bracket. Works. Needs a good rigid support bracket to go up under the seat and bolt to the four pannier mount points.... NOT just to the underseat plastic pan.

Also a big help is the genuine luggage tray behind the backrest... with a matching sheet of thin metal under it to block the gaps. 1mm aluminium sheet??

Nowhere much left for spray to come up after that.

Glad I'm not the only one with a problem with leaves.....
You're not just a pretty face, are ya? Just kidding 😜😝🇦🇺

Back