Shifter Adjustment

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
An extra step may be required to get the shifter adjusted to your liking. I changed boots and after three attempts (each time thinking I must have gone the wrong way somehow) I finally took the lever off the gear shaft itself and rotated it. Otherewise, I was unable to get the lever above foot peg level without taking this additional step.

To adjust normally, just remove the pivot bolt near the footpeg and once the shifter is free you can adjust the double threaded bolt (center of photo) in or out to make it longer (shifter goes down), or shorter (raises shifter).

If that doesn't get you where you need to go, remove the allen head bolt from where the assembly attaches to the gear shaft and rotate it - just a notch or two. You can see where I marked mine first in red to have a reference point. Looking up, as in the photo, I rotated it counter-clockwise to get more pedal height. Btw, that screw has to come all the way out to remove the assembly, then it slides right off the shaft.

This may seem really basic, but I've never had to do this on any other bike- the standard adjustment always gave plenty of room. I suspect mine wasn't dialed in to the right spot when it was installed at the factory. Anyway, hope it helps someone out there who's also tired of riding around with their foot always pointed down towards the ground....
IMG_2358.jpg

Last edited:
i have TSA so I cant mess with it :(
Why can't you mess with it? Adjusting the length of the rod moves your shift lever up or down. It does nothing to the quick shifter.
The Quick shifter assembly is just a pressure activated switch, in line, on the linkage. Pushing up or down on the lever merely activates the switch.
Make the linkage rod longer or shorter, the switch is still activated in the same way, just the position of the lever has changed.

Why can't you mess with it? Adjusting the length of the rod moves your shift lever up or down. It does nothing to the quick shifter.
The Quick shifter assembly is just a pressure activated switch, in line, on the linkage. Pushing up or down on the lever merely activates the switch.
Make the linkage rod longer or shorter, the switch is still activated in the same way, just the position of the lever has changed.

check page 8, there is a table for voltage settings

The voltage readings are not reliant on the length of the linkage. The switch does not know how long the linkage is, it only knows when it is under tension or compression.
The voltage readings are a function of the system. Forward mounted controls at rest, no pressure on the lever, the switch is sending 2.6v to the ECU. When you put upward pressure on the lever, the switch is under tension and sends 3.6v to ECU. Down shift, switch under compression, 1.6v to ECU.
When moving pedal assembly to the forward position, adding the linkage extension keeps the lever position in the same orientation to the pedal. If you adjust the linkage to be longer the lever will be further up, so guys with big boots can get their toes under.
I have adjusted the linkage length on my rear brake lever, by two full rotations, to raise the lever to a position that I find comfortable.
I will add that I am new to Rockets and have not yet had a close look at the quick shift assembly, but it is a basic mechanical function. And here's my joke. It's not Rocket Science. lol.

The voltage readings are not reliant on the length of the linkage. The switch does not know how long the linkage is, it only knows when it is under tension or compression.
The voltage readings are a function of the system. Forward mounted controls at rest, no pressure on the lever, the switch is sending 2.6v to the ECU. When you put upward pressure on the lever, the switch is under tension and sends 3.6v to ECU. Down shift, switch under compression, 1.6v to ECU.
When moving pedal assembly to the forward position, adding the linkage extension keeps the lever position in the same orientation to the pedal. If you adjust the linkage to be longer the lever will be further up, so guys with big boots can get their toes under.
I have adjusted the linkage length on my rear brake lever, by two full rotations, to raise the lever to a position that I find comfortable.
I will add that I am new to Rockets and have not yet had a close look at the quick shift assembly, but it is a basic mechanical function. And here's my joke. It's not Rocket Science. lol.
ok, thanks for clarifying, i was wondering about it.

Back