Service Bulletin: GPS O Ring change

Bluenose

Standard Bore
When you take your bikes in for their next service you might want to get your dealer to check the latest service bulletins. For some VIN numbers (not sure if all) there is a bulletin that states the GPS O ring should be changed. The stock O ring is too big. It's a five minute job.

I mention it because not all dealers are aware as this hasn't been issued as a safety recall. I had mine changed when they did the tyres.

When you take your bikes in for their next service you might want to get your dealer to check the latest service bulletins. For some VIN numbers (not sure if all) there is a bulletin that states the GPS O ring should be changed. The stock O ring is too big. It's a five minute job.

I mention it because not all dealers are aware as this hasn't been issued as a safety recall. I had mine changed when they did the tyres.

........................?:confused:

How would a bigger o-ring have an effect on the way the GPS works?
I hear (rumor of course) that the issue is the neutral light doesnt come on sometimes ( i have experienced this myself) So if its only an oring change how could that affect the way the GPS picks up the position? Guess it doesnt matter. As long as they take care of it.

mutt

They think that we are mushrooms. . . . .

I did the VIN number entry on the Triumph website, and got a generic message that there was a bulletin for my bike and that I needed to see the dealer.

My bike was in the shop for it's break-in service yesterday and undergoing chromatic suplimentation (installing my chrome). The dealership called and told me that there was a recall and they would get the part from another store and have it done along with the other work before I was to pick it up.

They called just as I was leaving to pick up my bike and said that they wouldn't have the part until Tues and that they should keep the bike until it was replaced. Since I had plans to ride this weekend, I tried looking up info on the recall but could find nothing online. I called the shop and had the tech read some of the bulletin to me over the phone (he couldn't send me a softcopy).

From what he said, it seemed that the gear indication could be faulty (due to the sensor - he didn't say anything about an o-ring). The only indication we have on the touring model is the light and I don't trust it fully anyway so it's unlikely to bite me in the ass. I find neutral mostly by feel and use the light to confirm. So I decided to pick up my bike anyway against their wishes.

Just as well, when I was there they said that there is a backorder because of the recall and they probably wouldn't see the part for a couple of weeks.

If anyone has any additional information on this issue, I'd like to confirm that it isn't a sensor that tells the fuel injection which gear you are in (as I could see that would cause more serious issues). But given that the description states "indication" this shouldn't be the case.

So based on the info I have now, it didn't seem like enough of a risk to lose two weeks worth of riding. As soon as they produce the part, I'll take it in to get replaced.

Bobebob

I was also told that it was the indicator light that showed false nuetral,etc.I always check by letting clutch out as a secondary test so this would not be a safety issue for me.I will have mine replaced at the next service also.

How would a bigger o-ring have an effect on the way the GPS works?
I hear (rumor of course) that the issue is the neutral light doesnt come on sometimes ( i have experienced this myself) So if its only an oring change how could that affect the way the GPS picks up the position? Guess it doesnt matter. As long as they take care of it.

mutt

I would believe it's "location, location, location!" If the "cross sectional" diameter of the oring is too large, it would keep the GPS from seating properly. I believe the GPS is probably a "proximity" sensor. If it is in the wrong "proximity", it would give a bad reading.

Story of "The Three Little O'rings"
Diameter too large: sensor doesn't fit all the way in.
Diameter to small: sensor fits in too far.
Diameter correct; Sensor fits "just right".:)

That would be my guess!

for every one else confused we were thinking GPS as in Sat Nav right well it looks like GPS in this case is gear position sensor .

faulty GPS

hi captains
mt r3t certainly has problems with GPS
newtral light comes on in first and second gear
side stand dosent alwaws operate the cut out
any one else have problems like these
regards mike

Never had issues with the side stand cut out. It works too well!!!:D I still havent heard form my dealer on the tire issue despite having gone into the dealership last fri (8 days ago). If they think Im going to call and beg them they can kiss my arse!:mad: I have only 700 miles on the current tires and I have no doubt that I could get at least 3000 with no problems. Triumph will come calling when my VIN shows up as not being done yet. Now my second concern is the GPS Im sure my dealer is behind the ball on this. Im amazed at how much of a clue they do not have. I have to tell them when there is an issue. There is another dealership a little farther away, maybe I will try them.

mutt

Back