Seat/Chassis Info..

Silver Bullet

Supercharged
I am vertically challenged. My 05 R3 has the stock seat on it which is specified to be 29.1 inches from the ground. I have requested seat height and other information through two dealerships, three weeks ago and have been informed that the Northwest Triumph rep is not returning calls to answer my questions.:mad: Gentlemen I give the questions to you for your consideration.

1st question: Triumph lists a "lowboy" seat as an optional seat to be purchased through the dealership. Does anyone know what the seat height is with this "lowboy" seat installed? Has anyone owned one and did it lower the seat height for us folks with short legs? How did it compair to seating comfort to the original? A custom seat may be the only answer but I thought I would take the less expensive saddle route first.

2nd question: Can the front suspension be lowered 3/4" or so at the fork main clamps to address some of the height issue. I suspect that the rear shocks can be replaced with a custom length progressive type, but do you think a ground clearance issue with the rest of the bike and chassis could be a problem should this be accomplished?

Any other ideas...and please...I am well past the "take your vitamins" and grow taller stage in life.:D

Thanks to all, Bullet.

Don't bother with the Triumph seats and go directly to a custom seat. Get just what you want and need along with comfort and styling and heated too if you desire.
Riches in Seattle can build you up one based on the R3 seat pan. He does good work.
Least expensive is the do it yourself route, pull the cover off the seat and carve the foam down to fit and then pull the cover back over. Although not vertically challenged, that is what I did in order to create a "pocket" in the seat.

I have heard of people raising their forks as high as 10mm but not any higher. That's pretty close to 3/4".
Prpgressive does have 11.5" shocks. That is an 1" drop over stock. Might try that route first and see if it gets you down far enough.

Be warry of the side stand making it too verticle when doing that. I believe busajack has lowered his and modified (shortened) the side stand.

Ground clearance should not be much of a problem after you grind off a few pieces in the twisties.:D

forks

You cannot raise the the forks more than three eights of an inch due to their expanding diameter after that..I cut the alum. tubes inside the forks about an inch.. Jack

PHP:
I have heard of people raising their forks as high as 10mm but not any higher. That's pretty close to 3/4".

Sorry windandaprayer, I've just gotta share this with you. An inch is equal to 25.4 mm. That puts 1/2 inch at 12.7 mm. 10mm would be closer to 3/8 inch which might not give as much change in saddle height as what is needed.

For what it's worth. Good luck Bullet! Some combination should work for you. I've seen folks duct tape 2 by 4 blocks to their feet. But watch out when the tape wears along the bottom of the block from usage. Oops!

See ya.

PHP:

Sorry windandaprayer, I've just gotta share this with you. An inch is equal to 25.4 mm. That puts 1/2 inch at 12.7 mm. 10mm would be closer to 3/8 inch which might not give as much change in saddle height as what is needed.

See ya.

Boy Rusty, you come in and bust this guy's cherry and leave with......See ya.....You da man.

You could look at it this way.....3/8"= 0.375 thousands where as 3/4"= 0.750 thousands. There is a BIG difference between 375 and 750, least in my book. Looking at it another way, 10mm is 1/10th or 10% of a 100 mm cigarette or maybe 2 puffs.

I'd venture to say that the sit-in drop in the forks is quite a bit more than 10mm.

PHP:

See ya.

gee, thanks rusty.
Aactually 10mm is equal to 0.3937008 inch and that is a lot closer to .75000 inch than 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 at stock ht..
BTW: 3/8 inch =.75 inch = 9.525 mm = .01041667 yd. I've got a convertor program too. I wasn't gpiong for tight accuracy earlier, it is not Rocket science ya know.
But it doesn't matter much for lowering seat height as busa says. The 11.5 in shocks (292.1mm) would do more.

Vertically challenged you say? How 'bout monkey butt syndrome? Do you suffer there as well. Scooping out or having a custom with less butt comfy material may distress you in short order. You're gong to better off lowering the rear with shorter 11.5" shocks in the long runs. Duct tape and 2x4s work for Rusty but platform heels will hold up longer:D
As a first step, riding boots with manly soles and heels rather than running shoes will make a difference.

lowering

If you lower the rear and not the front you will change the handling.(More rake)Slower steering at low speed but more stability at high speed..Best to bring front and rear down the same...Jack
Oh ,Wingandaprayer works for BOING and thats just how they measure..Te He Just kidding Wing..I know all about BOEING. Crazy Jack

Last edited:
Entertainers

Who would have thought I could come to this site, get the requested information and a comedy show at the same time:D. The "D" list isn't this entertaining. Thanks Guys...

Back