Run premium fuel?

Where i live we basically have three fuels, 10% ethanol, premium 93 mid91 reg87, the rockets run on 87 even the new ones with a higher compression ratio then the 2300s. Ive built my engine so 87 will work until i go thumping on it hard, it was tuned with pump 93 for 207hp, when you get above 10:5-1 compression ratio most builders are not running 87, on load, traveling weighed down, racing, stuff like that, detonation is bad, damage done.im currently probably 10:7-1 or higher, i had a time getting my cylinder pressure down to 210, if i had to on a rally put 87 in I would need octane boost to hoon, i might could limp to next station to get some premium 93, On my stock engine i run 93 not for the octane but for additive package shell adds. For me fuel cost has no factor on gas that i put in a motorcycle tank. I wanna keep it clean the best i can. I dont buy cleaners at parts store the premium keeps it clean, no deposits, black but no built up stuff ive found.
I ran only premium after I rebuilt the Roadster with Lush components, but really not thinking it's necessary (other than additives) in the stock 2.5s. My seat of the pants survey tells me that the mid-grade performs better, which I take to mean that it's probably better for the engine too. I'll throw some Techron in from time to time now I guess.

I ran only premium after I rebuilt the Roadster with Lush components, but really not thinking it's necessary (other than additives) in the stock 2.5s. My seat of the pants survey tells me that the mid-grade performs better, which I take to mean that it's probably better for the engine too. I'll throw some Techron in from time to time now I guess.
you’re probably right you would know for sure as much as you ride, the 89 probably just produces best efficiency, happy motor

I've always used premium (91 R+M/2 in Arizona) and been happy with the performance over the past 7k miles. Just idly flipping through the manual though and I noticed it only calls for 87 knock index fuel. When I purchased, my service manager was adamant to use premium fuel. Does anybody run regular grade fuel? Any issues with it?
43,000 miles on my 15 Touring and 76,000 miles on my 2020 GT. All with regular gas and no issues. And I hit the rev limiter most every ride.

I've always used premium (91 R+M/2 in Arizona) and been happy with the performance over the past 7k miles. Just idly flipping through the manual though and I noticed it only calls for 87 knock index fuel. When I purchased, my service manager was adamant to use premium fuel. Does anybody run regular grade fuel? Any issues with it?
I did run Premium at first, but then it would be slow to start taking quite a few cranks to fire up. Once I switched to regular it fires up as soon and I hit the ignition. Mine rocket is a 2020 R3 GT. and it runs better on regular.

Back