Rookie Question

Spartagus,
I started my bike once for less than a minute and when I parked it for a picture, i had a puddle under the radiator. Never happened again. Was your leak possibly the same?
My guess was some sort of pressure build up.

This weekend I installed rubber washers and applied high temp rtv on the bolt threads. No leaks so far but I haven't run the bike yet. I do believe that prior to my purchasing the bike last March that someone had tightened the bolts to the point that they pierced the radiator. Time will tell

Spartacus, first and foremost, congrats on the recovery. To you and all that have beat that terrible disease, "Hell Yea".
Now for the leak. If I remember right, there was a problem with the radiator caps. It seems that after a period of time they get weak. Just a puddle after you park it.
If it were me, I would go ahead and replace the cap. Just my two nickles worth.
Wait a minute, what color is your rocket?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your support. I think by the time-line I'm about 7-8 months ahead of STRIPES as far as treatments go. Sounds like we had the same thing (Squalus Cell Carcinoma - throat cancer) and went through similar treatments. If STRIPES (or anybody) would like to discuss, I'm available.
I don't think the cap was the issue. The initial leak was just a few drops/day and was traced to the bottom of the rad area, between the rad and bottom chrome trim piece. when I removed the 2 bolts securing the trim, the coolant poured out of the screw holes. I applied hi temp rtv to the threads and all seems well.
Careful with those bottom screws, they will pierce the rad

Back