Rev limiter vs top speed limiter

sunny

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3R LIMITED EDITION
hi, maybe a dumb question but What is difference between Rev limiter and Top speed limiter?
I see rocket3R wont go above 5500rpm in 6th gear and I cant go above 146mph or 238kmph.

🏍 so if the rev limiter is removed then will bike go above 236kmph?
🏍 or if the top speed limiter is removed then will bike go above 236kmph but with same 6th gear @ 5500rpm?
🏍 or need to remove both top speed limiter and rev limiter to achieve over 236kmph?

🏍 Does anyone know how to get this bike go faster than 236kmph with mods?
1Ou5K78.png

Regards

Last edited:
I'm on a '14 R3T (Fiona) so for the "How" I can only assume via Tune-ECU or the like. "Rev Limiter" will limit the engine speed and "Speed Limiter" will limit your road speed. Rev limiter will keep you from damaging the engine by preventing you from redlining, so I would leave that alone. I would raise the Speed limiter and see what you have. Something I may do on Fiona one day as she's speed-limited to 130MPH/210KPH (via Tune-ECU)... probably keeps me out trouble... Heh!

That said, If you verify the redline limit, you could adjust the Rev Limiter to take you there as I assume it's below that for warranty reasons.
-MIG

hi, maybe a dumb question but What is difference between Rev limiter and Top speed limiter?
I see rocket3R wont go above 5500rpm in 6th gear and I cant go above 138mph or 238kmph.

🏍 so if the rev limiter is removed then will bike go above 236kmph?
🏍 or if the top speed limiter is removed then will bike go above 236kmph but with same 6th gear @ 5500rpm?
🏍 or need to remove both top speed limiter and rev limiter to achieve over 236kmph?

🏍 Does anyone know how to get this bike go faster than 236kmph with mods?

Good question because it seems easy to be confused by them.

The rev limit stops you revving too high and damaging the engine or going beyond peak power (because engineers set the limit based on calculations/physics/experience etc)
The speed limit stops you going too fast (for reasons such as tyre rating, gentlemen's agreements, chassis limits like brakes and suspension etc)

If there was no speed limiter, you would rev all the way to redline and the rev limit would limit your speed.
But the rev limiter MUST be there because if the only limiter was the speed one, at 138mph, then you're not going to hit that until 5th & 6th gear, meaning you won't hit the rev limit in those gears because you would hit the speed limit first.
Without rev limiter, you could rev the engine to its death in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th as you wouldn't hit the speed limiter.

If you "remove" the speed limiter i.e. change it from 138mph or whatever up to say 178mph, which is roundabout where you will hit the rev limiter anyway.
You can change it to 200mph but you will not be able to get past 178mph because the rev limit will be hit. Also the bike might not have the power to reach 178 anyway.

Last edited:
Good question because it seems easy to be confused by them.

The rev limit stops you revving too high and damaging the engine or going beyond peak power (because engineers set the limit based on calculations/physics/experience etc)
The speed limit stops you going too fast (for reasons such as tyre rating, gentlemen's agreements, chassis limits like brakes and suspension etc)

If there was no speed limiter, you would rev all the way to redline and the rev limit would limit your speed.
But the rev limiter MUST be there because if the only limiter was the speed one, at 138mph, then you're not going to hit that until 5th & 6th gear, meaning you won't hit the rev limit in those gears because you would hit the speed limit first.
Without rev limiter, you could rev the engine to its death in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th as you wouldn't hit the speed limiter.

If you "remove" the speed limiter i.e. change it from 138mph or whatever up to say 178mph, which is roundabout where you will hit the rev limiter anyway.
You can change it to 200mph but you will not be able to get past 178mph because the rev limit will be hit. Also the bike might not have the power to reach 178 anyway.
so it cant do even 178 which is just 286kmph? 2.5L engine does not have power to reach 286kmph?

Did you try unchecking the speed limit box and raising the rev limit to 7400 in TuneECU?

holy moly, I just found this video, totally in love with it also curious how it was done, people are saying its tuneecu wonder

looks like the bike was strapped to a dyno......some have removed the nanny controls.......but in the real world(on road) there would be a lot more vibration

Back