Steve1968

Standard Bore
Ride
Bonneville
Hi all

First post but been reading the forum for a while, hope i don’t get kicked off as not purchased yet , waiting for the UK weather to pick and get a dealer test ride, want to be sure it’s the bike for me as will have to move out a couple of other bikes to make way for the Rocket .

Few concerns I have are some of the issues I have read about, some relating to tech issues and having to go back to dealer for software reboots but in particular the rear brake failures, is this some that affects GT or R models ( is the master cylinder in a different place ?) more and is it only the earlier released bikes, have any gremlins been ironed out on the later models ?

Any shared experience and advice welcome, been riding 38 years and have owned many bikes over the years so think I know what I’m talking myself into .

Steve

These are the issues I have encountered (in my 2 years / 20,000km) are as follows:
  1. Brake Recall - Fixed by dealer under warranty - no other occurrences to date
  2. "Key Fob Missing" On screen errors - fixed with ECU update by dealer under warranty
  3. Key Fob lost its memory - Key Fob Replaced and Reprogrammed successfully by dealer under warranty
  4. Bike stalls when downshifting and slowing to a stop - very intermittent (not sure what this is, could be bad gas, could be temp, could be me)
I should add, I would buy this bike again and again! It is head and shoulders above the previous Rocket III and every time I ride it, I have a grin on my face!!!! Love it!!!

Last edited:
In my one year.
1. Rear brakes bled twice.
2. Replaced gas tank and California EVAP system with 4oo miles on the GT.
3. Replaced torn 2.0 Panniers with two 'right side' 2.5 Panniers. Waiting for the correct left side to arrive at the dealers.
4. Stalling issues also. Has happened to quite a few members on here but as techno stated, intermittent.
5. Everything done under warranty and yes I still love the GT and 99% of the time I'm as happy as hell with it. That 1% can be a B**** sometimes though. Enjoy your new bike.:thumbsup:

Since October 2020:
1. Rear brake recall/rebleed - apparently air in the ABS module which wasn't a problem until after I started triggering it which I now do deliberately & often. So far so good.
2. Replaced instrument cluster due to cracked screen.
3. Replace O2 sensor (precautionary) following an unexpected check engine light which went away after a reset.
4. Replaced rear left indicator as was only working intermittently (had a nasty rattle when flicked too). No error on dash as for some others.
5. FOB battery flat in first week.
6. Corrosion on battery terminals which prevented starting.

Dealer has been excellent though - sorted 1-4 under warranty quickly and with no fuss. 5 & 6 just fixed myself with a shrug.

Thanks all for the reply’s, still waiting for better weather for my test ride , not sure I want to suffer the depreciation of a new bike again so was kind of hoping any bikes with all recalls completed would be as good as a new one ?
Still unsure whether the brake issue affects the R or GT more ? Is the master cylinder in the same place for both ?
Bikes I would have to sell to purchase Rocket would be 2008 Fat Bob I have owned for quite a while with a few mods and a collectors dream 2001 carbon edition V max with only 524 miles on the clock and maybe even my Griso If I had to buy new , quite a decision to make .

Issues
1. Rear brake bleed just because under warranty even though I never had any evidence it needed it
2. Had to buy a new rear tire because used it up to fast having way to much fun.

Don’t be afraid to buy this bike. Let us know how your test ride goes. Take a checkbook with you.🤣

Thanks all for the reply’s, still waiting for better weather for my test ride , not sure I want to suffer the depreciation of a new bike again so was kind of hoping any bikes with all recalls completed would be as good as a new one ?
Still unsure whether the brake issue affects the R or GT more ? Is the master cylinder in the same place for both ?
Bikes I would have to sell to purchase Rocket would be 2008 Fat Bob I have owned for quite a while with a few mods and a collectors dream 2001 carbon edition V max with only 524 miles on the clock and maybe even my Griso If I had to buy new , quite a decision to make .
Brake issues are the same on both bikes. They are mechanically identical, GT adds sissy bar, forward pegs, different handlebars, heated grips, different seat.

FWIW, my R has had one brake bleed since new (May '21) but no other issues.

Hi from Zaragoza Spain,

I'm very happy with this Bike (not my wife she only like to see it), a funny bike:p, only I see 2 issues: she like to drink too much fuel, little of engine-oil also like 90ml each 1000Kms, now 9K5 Kms in one year now she need new back tire.

About mech and electronics I like no problems for the moment, I bought it in 2021 January New. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• aceite de motor 3r.jpg
    aceite de motor 3r.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
  • medidas.jpg
    medidas.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 10
Back