Rear Suspension

M.J

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Rocket III 2005/ Triumph Rocket 3 R 2020
Can anyone tell me what the rear suspension sag would be with a passenger,i know when riding solo it should be around 30/35mm,but with two up i am not sure,i dont want to know the numbers as we all have different shocks,or the clicks for the same reason,just what the sag should be two up,any thoughts would be great Thanks

It should be the same but you need to add more preload to achieve it. Most of us lazy folks don’t and are lucky we have small wife/girl friends compared to us so the extra weight is not that much.

It should be the same but you need to add more preload to achieve it. Most of us lazy folks don’t and are lucky we have small wife/girl friends compared to us so the extra weight is not that much.
Thank you,my brother is 250lb and 6ft 2in,so i will no doubt have to alter it for him to ride with me Thanks

Thank you,my brother is 250lb and 6ft 2in,so i will no doubt have to alter it for him to ride with me Thanks
Eyup,
I'm a similar weight. On the standard shocks, i started riding with the socks on the second lowest setting on my Roadster. During vigorous riding if i felt the shock bottoming out I'd raise the rear a notch. It didn't take long until i was at the top setting.
If your brother is solo, probably set to four, and if adding a pillion, go straight to five.
Allowww

When I am riding solo (185 lbs) my preload is close to 20. When riding with a passenger (+150 lbs) The preload is set at maximum 33.

Eyup,
I'm a similar weight. On the standard shocks, i started riding with the socks on the second lowest setting on my Roadster. During vigorous riding if i felt the shock bottoming out I'd raise the rear a notch. It didn't take long until i was at the top setting.
If your brother is solo, probably set to four, and if adding a pillion, go straight to five.
Allowww
As i said in my question,numbers do not mean anything,as no one has the same shocks anymore,so it is the sag i was looking for,and that would be with my brother riding with me but Thanks

When I am riding solo (185 lbs) my preload is close to 20. When riding with a passenger (+150 lbs) The preload is set at maximum 33.
Is that millimeters of sag you are talking about ? Thanks

As i said in my question,numbers do not mean anything,as no one has the same shocks anymore,so it is the sag i was looking for,and that would be with my brother riding with me but Thanks
Eyup,
I agree that numbers don't matter.
My referencing the standard shocks was more a case of demonstrating how limited adjustment is on any shock unless the right spring is fitted, followed be adjusting sag, along with changing the dampening to find the best compromise.
Just set the spring height so that roughly two thirds of the damping rod range is visible. Then let him ride the bike, and adjust damping for comfort. Should the shock compress fully to the end, then raise the height some. That will suit 90% of applications.
Some people try and set their bikes up like race bikes and it's not the way to go with a Rocket 👍
Allowww

Is that millimeters of sag you are talking about ? Thanks
I am speaking about clock wise clicks from fully open positon (preload)

This is what throws me off. You at 185 lbs ride at 20 on preload and I run at 185 lbs at 4 or 5 on preload. Anything over that is harsh and much too stiff. I admit my lower back is jacked up beyond repair but I have tried 5 or 6 times higher preload and no good. I guess it's just individual preference plus add in back problems into the equation. The ride is good and for now I'm going with the numbers although there is plenty of room for improvement. I feel like my preload should be higher for my weight so after I get some more miles on the bike I will try again.
Fully equipped I should be closer to 195 lbs... I started with 10 clicks but when the road is bad I already checked that the suspension was bottoming out.
According to me it is quite important to fully open compression and rebound to get a more comfortable feeling when riding alone.

This is what throws me off. You at 185 lbs ride at 20 on preload and I run at 185 lbs at 4 or 5 on preload. Anything over that is harsh and much too stiff. I admit my lower back is jacked up beyond repair but I have tried 5 or 6 times higher preload and no good. I guess it's just individual preference plus add in back problems into the equation. The ride is good and for now I'm going with the numbers although there is plenty of room for improvement. I feel like my preload should be higher for my weight so after I get some more miles on the bike I will try again.
I have spondylosis in my lumber spine,and ride with 30mm sag solo and the ride is perfect,i also have an air seat with the backrest seat,and have no problems on a 400mile ride just one stop to refuel,we all have different shocks,that is why numbers and clicks mean nothing anymore,unless you have exactly the same shocks as the person talking about the numbers

Back