Rear luggage worth the money ?

Hi that bracket looks like it is placed over the exact spot where you put your key to activate the ignition when your fob battery dies if so does it still work?

What is the weak point that restricts the payload to 5kg? Is it the plastic mounts on the panniers or the brackets themselves and the way they cantilever out from their mounting locations under the bike? No point fitting an alternative brand bag if the brackets themselves are the weak point
The weak point seems to be the mounting points. I have had the rear end apart numerous times for various experimental reasons and the rear subframe seems sturdy, but 'light' in structure. I would think that any cantilever effect would stress the rear structure if there was weight over the recommended max (panniers + 5kg per side - red arrows, backrest/rack 5kg overall - blue arrows)

1607678805875.png

What is the weak point that restricts the payload to 5kg? Is it the plastic mounts on the panniers or the brackets themselves and the way they cantilever out from their mounting locations under the bike? No point fitting an alternative brand bag if the brackets themselves are the weak point.
It’s the plastic bit holding the socket for the key—the pannier is screwed onto it with four little screws (not even bolted to it).

The weak point seems to be the mounting points. I have had the rear end apart numerous times for various experimental reasons and the rear subframe seems sturdy, but 'light' in structure. I would think that any cantilever effect would stress the rear structure if there was weight over the recommended max (panniers + 5kg per side - red arrows, backrest/rack 5kg overall - blue arrows)

1607678805875.png
I can tell you, from recent experience, that the metal brackets are NOT the weak point. I actually like them.

I can tell you, from recent experience, that the metal brackets are NOT the weak point. I actually like them.
thanks for 'telling me' but I never said that the metal brackets were the weak point!

I have been in touch with Hepco & Becker and they have made some pannier carriers for the Rocket 3 R/GT/TFC and they state the same load maximums and told me it's because of the mounting points to the frame. They use the same mounting points as the Givi/Triumph developed pannier carriers do.

The supports are good and look solid, I think on the other hand that any bag is ugly on this kind of motorcycle

thanks for 'telling me' but I never said that the metal brackets were the weak point!

I have been in touch with Hepco & Becker and they have made some pannier carriers for the Rocket 3 R/GT/TFC and they state the same load maximums and told me it's because of the mounting points to the frame. They use the same mounting points as the Givi/Triumph developed pannier carriers do.
Alright. Sorry if I came through strong... but I’m waiting on whether Triumph will replace the pannier that came off (under warranty). It had less than 5kg in it, at the time, and shouldn’t have come off (at ~80km/h). I’ll post more about it only if it’s not replaced under warranty.

Alright. Sorry if I came through strong... but I’m waiting on whether Triumph will replace the pannier that came off (under warranty). It had less than 5kg in it, at the time, and shouldn’t have come off (at ~80km/h). I’ll post more about it only if it’s not replaced under warranty.
sorry to hear of your troubles Coops, hope they do the decent thing

Hi guys I live in the uk and want to tour next year on my new r3 is the pannier system worth the considerable expense or are there any alternatives ? Tia.
Hi as you know Triumph only make the one set of panniers for the Rocket. Yes they are beautifuly made but at £850 the set quite a lot for once a year traveling they carry 12 kg each not 5kg. As for corbin well they are way over priced like £3000 stupid money. Im sure someone will make a set soon im sure, i made my own so i could use my Viking bags. I used them on my Thunderbird Storm where i addapted Klick bag quick release fixings. They are on my profile here take a look see what ive done they work very well as i made them from stainless.....

Hi as you know Triumph only make the one set of panniers for the Rocket. Yes they are beautifuly made but at £850 the set quite a lot for once a year traveling they carry 12 kg each not 5kg. As for corbin well they are way over priced like £3000 stupid money. Im sure someone will make a set soon im sure, i made my own so i could use my Viking bags. I used them on my Thunderbird Storm where i addapted Klick bag quick release fixings. They are on my profile here take a look see what ive done they work very well as i made them from stainless.....
Can I ask where you get the 12Kg info from please. The website (which of course could be wrong) shows 5kg load for the bags, as do the instructions directly from Triumph : (https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9518172-EN.pdf) on page 10.

My perception from the above is that you maybe are confusing lbs with kgs?

I would hate for others to read your information and take it as gospel unless your source of information is correct. Can you please provide evidence of this? Thanks

1607789331988.png

1607789361239.png

Back