RAM AIR Question

Weirdfish

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Roadster 2014
Hi Guys
No doubt this query has been made a thousand times so apologies. I've tried to research the answer on here but tbh am bogged down by the number of posts.
I have 2015 Roadster with Dave Platt exhausts. I've just taken delivery of a Ram Air kit and whilst I'm confident I can get the kit fitted, I'm confused about the need to Tune, I assume it MUST be tuned? If so is there a download you can recommend and and how do I connect the bike to the computer, is there a special cable needed? I am an old school type home mechanic, most at home on 70s and 80s bikes but the thought of getting involved in tuning with a computer and downloads fills me with dread! I do have a knowledgeable friend who can help, but he is also not familiar with the Rocket and any requirements for tuning, he's ace at computer stuff though! Any advice or a point in the direction of a good thread on here would be really appreciated. Thanks
Jim

Hi Guys
No doubt this query has been made a thousand times so apologies. I've tried to research the answer on here but tbh am bogged down by the number of posts.
I have 2015 Roadster with Dave Platt exhausts. I've just taken delivery of a Ram Air kit and whilst I'm confident I can get the kit fitted, I'm confused about the need to Tune, I assume it MUST be tuned? If so is there a download you can recommend and and how do I connect the bike to the computer, is there a special cable needed? I am an old school type home mechanic, most at home on 70s and 80s bikes but the thought of getting involved in tuning with a computer and downloads fills me with dread! I do have a knowledgeable friend who can help, but he is also not familiar with the Rocket and any requirements for tuning, he's ace at computer stuff though! Any advice or a point in the direction of a good thread on here would be really appreciated. Thanks
Jim
Further to this I have since contacted 3 independent (Dyno Tuners) and none will touch it, one suggested I go to my local Triumph dealer, why are they so reluctant?

Yes, it must be tuned. If not it will probably be running much too lean. Lean =hot. Hot=bad.
Yes, you will need a cable to interface TuneEcu from computer to your OBD2 plug to access the ECU.
Dread is sometimes good. But in this case there is no need for dread, once you are in it is so simple a 5th grader could do it.

This may help:

If you put Tune ECU into the searh box you will get a few hits that will help you with basics.

bob

Hi, you do need a special cable. "Lonetec" is a reputable source. It connects with the OBD2 connector found under your seat. It is best to retune your bike to make sure there is adequate Air/Fuel amounts, which would mean you have to download Tune ECU and find the correct tune for your bike. A Power Commander 5 with autotune will also give you a tuning option. As would a Dobeck performance add on,. Hope this helps, good luck.

Further to this I have since contacted 3 independent (Dyno Tuners) and none will touch it, one suggested I go to my local Triumph dealer, why are they so reluctant?
Mine was tuned by a man that specializes in Polaris Indians, if they can tune a Power Commander then they can tune a Rocket. I couldn't find anyone local
that can tune, Tune ECU, so I went with the Power Commander.

Thank you all, I'll hopefully soon have news on how I got on so will update you

Back