R3R not R enough.

Bosco15

Education is important. Motorbikes are importanter
Ride
2020 R3R
I do love my R3R but I would like her to be R'er.
I went for a sporty ride with the lads, yesterday. We covered some beautiful countryside and took in some great Twisties. The "Old Rd" & "Galston Gorge" (Australia).
My mate and I swapped bikes for a spell. He was busting to ride the Rocket and I have never been on a S1000RR.
I've owned and riden many Sport bikes before, So the Beemer felt natural in about three seconds. What a beautiful scalpel of a bike. I would love to take her on track. Even though they are lightning fast, they still don't thrill like the torque of the Rocket.
Getting back on the Big Girl, after carving on the Beemer, really highlighted the cruiser riding position.
The R3R handles extremely well for a bike of her size but the riding position just doesn't lend itself to that feeling of control when the heat turns up.
The saddle is comfortable but too cosseting for more sporty riding. It doesn't provide for weight shifting. The pegs too far forward. The bars too wide.
If I could get a seat pan cheap enough, I would have a go at upholstering a sports saddle. Custom bars wouldn't be too difficult.
The pegs are a whole other kettle of fish.
If Triumph R&D department are reading, I would trade up to your new Hyper Sports Tourer R3RR in a heartbeat.

So after the seat, swap the bars for a pair of clip-ons and add some rearsets (somehow almost halfway down the swing arm) and you'd be good to go :p
Would be like sitting on that Dodge Tomahawk from years ago.

I had to look up Dodge Tomahawk, but yes that's what the R3R feels like it wants to be when she's on full song.
Screenshot_2023-11-14-10-24-17-762.jpeg

Hmmm those rearsets look interesting.🤔

I do love my R3R but I would like her to be R'er.
I went for a sporty ride with the lads, yesterday. We covered some beautiful countryside and took in some great Twisties. The "Old Rd" & "Galston Gorge" (Australia).
My mate and I swapped bikes for a spell. He was busting to ride the Rocket and I have never been on a S1000RR.
I've owned and riden many Sport bikes before, So the Beemer felt natural in about three seconds. What a beautiful scalpel of a bike. I would love to take her on track. Even though they are lightning fast, they still don't thrill like the torque of the Rocket.
Getting back on the Big Girl, after carving on the Beemer, really highlighted the cruiser riding position.
The R3R handles extremely well for a bike of her size but the riding position just doesn't lend itself to that feeling of control when the heat turns up.
The saddle is comfortable but too cosseting for more sporty riding. It doesn't provide for weight shifting. The pegs too far forward. The bars too wide.
If I could get a seat pan cheap enough, I would have a go at upholstering a sports saddle. Custom bars wouldn't be too difficult.
The pegs are a whole other kettle of fish.
If Triumph R&D department are reading, I would trade up to your new Hyper Sports Tourer R3RR in a heartbeat.
I switched with my buddy M1000R 2024 (3500miles/6000km on odometer) and yes it was fun but i wont want it forever and he said if I had let him drove my r3r before he bought M1000r he would have never bought it, at one point we were doing 150mph

Even with rearsets and bars, or even upgrading the suspension to Maxton etc, I think the chassis layout will still have you grounding bits of the bike long before it feels like a Speed Triple RR...

Lol. I'm under no illusions that she will ever be a Speed Triple, but do feel that my current riding position is too "Cruiser" when the corners come along. I don't want to be GSXR but feel that VFR seating position would transform the R3R experience.
I've looked into the 1200 Triple RS and drooled, but just know that after the big girl they would feel asthmatic, as every other bike that I've riden since owning Ruby has. I'm addicted to the torque and, in a way, it has ruined riding other bikes for me.

Two days of fabricating and I've managed to fit a retro seat that I had floating around.
Adapted seat to fit the bike, not bike to fit the seat, so it just clips off and original seat can go straight back on.
IMG_20231119_120109.jpg

It's more just to test out the riding position than an aesthetic thing, but I don't mind the hollow look. If I keep it i will bling it up with a Chrome strip and CF cover for the electrics.
IMG_20231119_120127.jpg

I also picked up some HD drag bars, thinking that surely they would be narrower than the stock Triumph bars. As it happens they are on par for width, just a different bend, so not worth the effort.
I will see if I can find a shorter pair of 1 1/4".
I don't think that anyone makes clip-ons to suit the 60mm stanchions, yet. 🤣🤣

Rearsets would require a different exhaust configuration, on RHS, so that is a mission for another day.

I test rode my new seat configuration, yesterday.
It has transformed the bike. A totally different riding experience to the stock seat. Sitting upright, with those wide bars, she now feels like a Motard.
The new position puts my back in a far more comfortable posture. I hit a few bumps on my local road, which normally jar my spine when riding with the stock seat, and felt none of the impact that I had previously.
Hard acceleration had me gripping the tank with my knees and pulling on the bars more than usual, due to the loss of the "bucket" effect of the stock seat.
Not as plush as the stock seat, I don't know how I will feel about the new seat on a long ride but I'm definitely going to keep it for now.

I didn't like the look of the original tail with the new seat unit, so I fabricated a CF cover for the rear subframe.
It's not a pristine, glistening CF job but fit for purpose at the moment.
IMG_20231209_090455.jpg
IMG_20231209_090523.jpg
IMG_20231209_084218.jpg

Triumph have used an odd, in my experience, setup with their tail/brake light unit. The tail light and brake light share common Power. The tail light has a constant earth, so it is always illuminated when ignition is on. The brake has a switching earth, via brake switches.
This made my aftermarket taillight unit a little tricky to sort. A little modification and a solid state relay and it works as it should.
IMG_20231209_084237.jpg

Next is to fabricate a cover for the battery compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_084237.jpg
    IMG_20231209_084237.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231209_084218.jpg
    IMG_20231209_084218.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231209_084204.jpg
    IMG_20231209_084204.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 7
Back