R3 Reverberations

Can't say as I've noticed anything like that other than the slight vibration from the flywheel. As for speed cruising, I did a run a few months back where I held 150+ km/h for over 2 hours without any drama. Acceleration had to be reeled in as I was riding in back behind a GL1800 and a VN900, but had no issue getting up to speed or passing.
That being said, nobody would deny that the rear suspension is fairly firm, how rough are the roads where you are? I could see that causing a bit of a hum.

Being rural the roads vary from rough to bloody disgusting, however there are some that are capable of handling a vehicle at illegal speeds.

Have you had your initial service done? And if so, did they balance the throttle bodies? Probably not since I don't think that's called for at the first service. I do know that my R3T ran much smoother after the 10K service. That would be the first thing I'd check. Since you're pushing pistons the size of coffee cans up and down a throttle body imbalance will likely cause a noticeable vibration.

Had my first service done (850km) the mechanic said that he balanced the throttle bodies at the time.

No that is not normal. 120 kph is only about 75 mph and I wouldn't even call that fast. Mine will run over 100mph (160 kph) all day with no problems. I have been well over 100 mph several times with plenty of power left. IMHO There is something wrong with your bike take it to a good dealer before you have a catastrophic failure.

I am of the same opinion, I don't expect the bike to be as smooth as a UJM but I did think that it would be a bit better than it is. Back to the dealer, I think if only I could find another to compare that may go some way to alieving my fears.

Thanks for all the comments.

Peter

RE:Reverbrations...

I have an '05 std with 'offroad' pipes (no cat), and no other engine mods (that I'm aware of...I've only owned it a few months.) It seems very smooth below about 3500RPM. If i push it above that,it starts 'buzzing' a bit. It gets really bad at 4000RPM, but that doesn't bother me because I rarely have the need to go 100MPH (4K RPM in top gear) As a touring rider, I usually keep it below about 3K RPM, I do not have any problem there, and I've found that with conservative speed management, I can get 40+ MPG out of her. It's just nice to know that I can dust just about any Hardley on the road if they want to 'play'.

Kick the Tires, Light the Fires, and HANG ON!!!:eek:
Hank in Albuquerque
'05 std with 'some mods'

That's also what I've found - our R3's are quicker to the 1/8 mile but after that the big sport bikes eat our lunch.

My mirrors are unusuable over 60 mph due to vibration but I don't find it otherwise annoying.

Reverberation/shimmy while turning

I do get a slight but noticeable--and annoying--reverberation/shimmy while turning at slower speeds. This is especially conspicuous in tight, slow (35 MPH) turns.

I have had my Touring at fairly high speeds for extended distances on straight-aways without noticing the shimmy. It's only obvious at slower speeds while turning.

Anyone have an idea as to what I'm experiencing? Normal?

I guess I'll run it by the Dealer the next time I'm in for service.

Check your front tire for cupping, heavy bikes and windshields are rough on a front tire.

Have you had your initial service done? And if so, did they balance the throttle bodies?...
I skipped my 10k and had the throttle bodies (TB) balanced at 15k. What a difference! I diminished the decel pop considerably up and until that 15k mark(with a Tuneboy tune; but, after the TB balancing the beast is so much more quiet (absolutely no decel pop) and she runs smooth...up to 80mph. At and above 80 my FBG has something of a "reverb":D

From the very early days of my ownership of Tuneboy gear, it told me that #3 wasn't sync'd with the others; but I let it ride until 15k miles.

Last edited:
Back