PC3/TuneBoy Question

Verrarck

.020 Over
I see everyone who is modifying and improving their bikes adding these; and apparently the addition is making one hell of a difference.

I'm really thinking of getting one (probably the PC3), but I have to ask since I really don't plan on modifying the bike much more:

What would it do for a stock bike - as in stock pipes with cat and all that shiite?

I mean - I know that it will increase the hp (depending on the code), reset the speedo, and give ya' more control of the performance - but what else?

Power commander is an older technology that physically is mounted on the bike and plugs in between the bikes computer and the engine. It attempts to modify only the fuel map (singular) buy adding a percentage of fuel to the specified amount in any cell (think of a spread sheet) on the computers map. Very good deal, once upon a time. It allows you to richen up the lean portions of the map at low throttle and stop the popping as you slow down, especially important with the Jardine exhaust as the flames winking in the pipes attract the attention of a variety of people, some who can write tickets. :lol:
The power commander cannot fix the speedo error, open the secondaries, change the various fuel maps separately, (you have three plus some 'overlays'), nor can it raise the rev limiter or eliminate the speed limit in high gear.
The tune boy requires only that you move the bike close enough to your computer for a wire to reach the area under the seat. You remove the seat and plug in the cable. It is 'stupid easy'. If you do something you decide is wrong, or you sell your pipes, (got a ticket finally huh?) and put the stock pipes back on, a retune is simply a download from the web site. The full potential of your motor will only be realized with a dyno tune, but that can be loaded, and reloaded at will.
There is no comparisom between these two products, IMHO. If you find some earlier thread on this site where I extolled the virtues of the power commander, forgive my ignorance and do me the favor of leaving that thread buried. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's another Tune boy question. If you correct the speedo, what does that do to the odometer? My speedo is the typical 7% off but the odometer is dead nuts on, checked with GPS over 100+ miles and right on to the tenth.

Basically what Turbofan said... Tunboy gives you more control over ECU parameters and other things like speedo error... Also has serial interface for dyno tuning, can load stock Triumph tunes an permit you to load tunes others create...

Mike...

If the speedo error is such an easy fix... Why doesn't Triumph just set it right to begin with? Seems prevalient with the manufacturers. The VTX is off by as much as 10%. Maybe they just want us to think we are going faster or trying to keep us away from tickets. :roll:

Stormrider,

I think someone else posted that there is a UK law that requires speedos not to err on the low side but can on the high side... Thus the speedo accuracy that we have... Someone correct me if I am wrong about this...

Mike....

I've heard that but don't believe it. I think it is simply a matter of trying to keep the customers alive as we all try to do the ton, and because once you ride a bike that lies to you, the truth will seem so slow.

Back