Oh - just some more helmet controversy.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
The Next, Next Big Thing: MIPS
MIPS Protection – helmet safety – brain protection system

I thought this would interest one or two. One being @Dr.D who already uses the ICON now available with MIPS and @Ishrub who iirc used helmets with a conceptually similar technology from LAZER.

Just had a quick browse and whilst the technology is pretty well established in other sports/pastimes - Motorcycling Road riding seems not to be benefiting much. I have my own personal theories why this is.

As well as all the good techie stuff in there - This segment resonated with me - as it is a similar conclusion to my own after a lot of research.

Before going to the MIPS facility, the guiding lights that I would offer to helmet purchasers were fairly simple: your best sources for crash data are SHARP in the UK and CRASH in Australia, as they are independent bodies that are crash-testing helmets in their own facilities.

From their results, I have seen little correlation between high-testing crash results and the upward price of a helmet, though there does seem to be an inverse trend (with more than a few exceptions) between weight and crash scores.

Generally speaking, the heavier the helmet, the better the score. The whole “$100 head, $100 helmet” maxim is almost entirely marketing-speak to get you in a more expensive lid.

I would also add two final caveats: one, that helmets with built-in visors and other similar features do so typically at the expense of added impact foam; and two, that the size of the visor mounting system can have great effect on a helmet’s side impact test results.

Outside of all these constraints, I have seen very little evidence that any one brand stands head-and-shoulders above another in terms of head safety. That has changed with MIPS, however.

Now, my advice to motorcycle helmet shoppers is simple: find a helmet that fits your head, is comfortable to wear for a duration, and has a rotational energy mitigation technology like MIPS – and of which, MIPS has out-shined its competitors when it comes to levels of available research and science.

The local ICON dealer here is expecting his MIPS batch. I will then go and try on the AirFlite.

But did want to launch this question at Mel. How well does it vent?. ICON's web sort of suggests it may not be terrific!.

I can fog up pin-locked visors even in summer due to nasal respiratory issues. It depends a bit on lateral pressure on the cheek bones.
It is sort of like Apnea - my sinuses slowly constrict and suddenly I have to resort mouth breathing - usually a bit forced for the first breath or two.

Rode out to see @Taurobiker yesterday and I wore my old Caberg - nearly died of heat stroke on the way home. It does NOT vent very well behind a screen. But being a flip front means it's easy enough to remedy in slow traffic. My other lid (NEXX XD1) vents well, but felt I might need the flip front for other reasons. Actually with all the covid-face-mask palaver here - a fixed jaw piece is a benefit. The benefit of hindsight!.

On a similar note, what are the thoughts regarding the Koroyd liner now offered in a few of the Klim helmets. It seems like it will vent well while also allowing for some torsional deflection which is the big selling point of MIPS.

New to me as well - I can indeed understand the strength and impact resistance plus.
Venting would require other factors - but it certainly won't hurt. On Cycle helmets it will be a plus for certain. Motorcycle Helmets are a different paradigm.

KLIM adopting something is on one level always a plus - but sadly KLIM are a bit spendy (imo) for what they offer. See what happens if other mrfs adopt.
Like RUKKA in Finland. Good! - but they need to be at the price.

What surprised me with the MIPS thing is the addition seems NOT to raise prices much. MIPS and KOROYD? - Hmmmm!

This from the Koroyd site was interesting. ECE new standards.
It is thought that helmets built only to withstand high-speed impacts can be too rigid for lower-speed impacts, compromising user safety.
I think this is aimed at RACE-spec lids.

I'd like to see the best of all the technologies: Fiberglass or similar delaminating shell (hit and slide vs one hit polycarb), torsional features (MiPS or Koroyd) and good ventilation (Koroyd would seem to have the advantage). I'm just not a fan of polycarb helmets even thought they are far less expensive, generally.

I'd like to see the best of all the technologies: Fiberglass or similar delaminating shell (hit and slide vs one hit polycarb), torsional features (MiPS or Koroyd) and good ventilation (Koroyd would seem to have the advantage). I'm just not a fan of polycarb helmets even thought they are far less expensive, generally.
It is going to be interesting o see how 22.06 changes things - The labs are open for certification testing now. I noted that SNELL new regs will be pretty much identical to ECE 22.06 and they also seem to correlate to the SHARP tests. As a plus we get legally darker main visors! . Dark Visor with photochromatic pinlock and a dark dropdown visor. My interest has been piqued. I think I may hold off replacing the old Caberg this year.

I thought this would interest one or two. One being @Dr.D who already uses the ICON now available with MIPS and @Ishrub who iirc used helmets with a conceptually similar technology from LAZER.

Just had a quick browse and whilst the technology is pretty well established in other sports/pastimes - Motorcycling Road riding seems not to be benefiting much. I have my own personal theories why this is.

As well as all the good techie stuff in there - This segment resonated with me - as it is a similar conclusion to my own after a lot of research.

The local ICON dealer here is expecting his MIPS batch. I will then go and try on the AirFlite.

But did want to launch this question at Mel. How well does it vent?. ICON's web sort of suggests it may not be terrific!.

I can fog up pin-locked visors even in summer due to nasal respiratory issues. It depends a bit on lateral pressure on the cheek bones.
It is sort of like Apnea - my sinuses slowly constrict and suddenly I have to resort mouth breathing - usually a bit forced for the first breath or two.

Rode out to see @Taurobiker yesterday and I wore my old Caberg - nearly died of heat stroke on the way home. It does NOT vent very well behind a screen. But being a flip front means it's easy enough to remedy in slow traffic. My other lid (NEXX XD1) vents well, but felt I might need the flip front for other reasons. Actually with all the covid-face-mask palaver here - a fixed jaw piece is a benefit. The benefit of hindsight!.
The helmet vents fair but never fogs up. I’ll check out that new one, thanks.

Heat stroke death, i feel ya and the helmet doesn’t have to melt like @ boog says

Back