Not sure what I'm looking at - advice?

frkmbolin

.020 Over
Ride
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
I'll cross-post this to some R3 FB pages, as well. I purchased a wonderful 2015 R3R from the local Royal-Enfield dealer in January. In the last few days, I've started to notice some hissing from around the exhaust manifold, and there's more heat now than I previously had felt. Not my first R3, so I understand well that there's always going to be some heat there. I knew there were some customizations done, but the previous owner doesn't want to contact me, though the dealer has passed my info to him. I'm not sure what all the customizations were. I'm thinking of going back to a more stock-like exhaust system, but in black, rather than chrome (a.k.a. Rocket X). Other than the obvious comments that this is an aftermarket exhaust and a RamAir system, I really don't know what else I'm looking at, or what I should have my local dealer do. I'd like to shield the heat some, make sure the hissing isn't a big problem. I've got Corbin bags ordered, about 6 weeks out from delivery. I'm scheduled for a Russell Day-Long saddle later in the summer, and trips from TX to WV and Chicago in a few months.

Any constructive advice is much appreciated!
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0241.jpeg
IMG_0242.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg

I just removed my stock exhaust last week so it's pretty fresh that is the stock manifold just with all the shielding removed then wrapped if you were to re install the shields that would help with the heat. As for the hiss when I removed my stock manifold the gaskets that were in there were crushed in such a way that if you were to try and re use them they would leak without question got a new set off flea bay fairly cheap.

Not sure what would be “hissing”, but the tried and proven method to find exhaust leaks is use a length of tubing (hose) to listen while running. You will hear even the smallest leak with the tubing placed to your ear, the other end used to “sniff” for the leak.
Also seen a flame used when a smoke machine isn't available

As Apollo said above, you have the stock header there with the heat shields removed with a short piece of tube added on the end.
With this "open" exhaust and the RamAir one would hope that it has had a new map loaded to adjust the fuelling to suit.
Also, I agree with Apollo that the stock exhaust port gaskets are use once and throw away, they are a poor design in that they do not cover the full area of the port.

The large canister is part of your emissions system, an overflow catch can. There is a thread somewhere on how to remove it and the associated plumbing from the throttle bodies. I removed mine and if the gas overflows it just drips to mother earth as engineers intended in the day. If you overfill your gas tank it goes there, if a lot you will run like crap for a couple of miles until it clears out.

bob

Not sure what would be “hissing”, but the tried and proven method to find exhaust leaks is use a length of tubing (hose) to listen while running. You will hear even the smallest leak with the tubing placed to your ear, the other end used to “sniff” for the leak.
Ever hear of Dawn soap and water In a spray bottle with a small paint brush:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back