New production Engines!

I was intending to get a K1600GT for one last new bike, but now I'm considering the pan am, might wait until the 2022 is out, hate to buy a first year issue bike. Still thinking...
Contrary to popular opinion, being a first adopter has great benefits! You will never have better support! After any product is on the market for a while, the failures are well known. The first failure, should there be any get the highest possible attention.

Didn't Harley have a 1200 cc high performance engine in the VRod? Did they market it to the wrong group? Why did it fail to sell?
It was sold and in production for longer than most realize (16 years!). What some don’t consider,; does the manufacturer make any money selling them? Add to that the complexities of competing with your own possibly higher margin products.

Yes. The Harley Vrod had the 60 degree liquid cooled Revolution engine, which was a combined development between Harley and Porsche. It's a brilliant motor, but they only put it in the Vrod and didn't expand it's use across other models. The Vrod was a muscle cruiser, not very comfortable for long rides, not easy to add accessories like bags, etc., certainly not great for 2up riding and handling was relatively poor. I considered a Vrod and test rode a few before settling on a Rocket. I think the Harley traditionalists didn't want any part of it since it wasn't air cooled, not a 45 degree motor with the trademark potato potato potato sound.
Also worth noting, a high horsepower, low(ish) torque engine on a bagger would leave you yawning. The big twins (low rev, higher torque) are perfectly suited for these bikes.
Why is the Rocket so fun? Torque!! Torque makes it “feel” powerful! Properly cammed and tuned, a big twin on an 800+lb bike makes for a fun ride. Trading the motor for 175 hp and 90 ft lbs high revving engine would be an entirely different riding experience.

Back