New production Engines!

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
Theyre becoming more and more performance based. The new rockets are a good example as these new engines may go 200hp with little mods. Or the new Harley 1250, its a monster it looks like. 150hp, in a very versatile frame, whats going on, maybe when the new 1250 launches @Jvheli can share some stuff with us on all this performance stuff coming out of manufacturers.

I think it really boils down to the consumer is far more knowledgeable now. Sharing market space means you must build a better or at least as good a product as your competitors. The wins now are in the margins. Creature comforts, ergos, support. I am beyond thrilled that we brought a new product to market, and folks seem to love it, almost as much as I do!

I know i do, All engine performance. Harley is gonna throw that 131 or better in a CVO before long, and a 150/150 (soon they will be there) is hard to handle. Theyre 12 sec 115mph bikes which is incredible

Didn't Harley have a 1200 cc high performance engine in the VRod? Did they market it to the wrong group? Why did it fail to sell?

Yes. The Harley Vrod had the 60 degree liquid cooled Revolution engine, which was a combined development between Harley and Porsche. It's a brilliant motor, but they only put it in the Vrod and didn't expand it's use across other models. The Vrod was a muscle cruiser, not very comfortable for long rides, not easy to add accessories like bags, etc., certainly not great for 2up riding and handling was relatively poor. I considered a Vrod and test rode a few before settling on a Rocket. I think the Harley traditionalists didn't want any part of it since it wasn't air cooled, not a 45 degree motor with the trademark potato potato potato sound.

Yes. The Harley Vrod had the 60 degree liquid cooled Revolution engine, which was a combined development between Harley and Porsche. It's a brilliant motor, but they only put it in the Vrod and didn't expand it's use across other models. The Vrod was a muscle cruiser, not very comfortable for long rides, not easy to add accessories like bags, etc., certainly not great for 2up riding and handling was relatively poor. I considered a Vrod and test rode a few before settling on a Rocket. I think the Harley traditionalists didn't want any part of it since it wasn't air cooled, not a 45 degree motor with the trademark potato potato potato sound.
Your comment about traditionalists is spot-on. Delilah, my '16 V-Rod Muscle is 1250cc's and fine for short day cruises but not the long haul (maybe if I was in my 20's). You can definitely ride her like a hooligan though... she's all calm until you get past 4000 RPM's and then she hauls a$$ (redlines at 9K). I consider her my "HD Sport Bike"... For me (and my wife who got her for me), she's a looker too...
-MIG

Attachments

• Delilah-FS.jpg
    Delilah-FS.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 19
Back