New member from Michigan with the dreaded "click problem"

Nutcase76

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket 3 Tribal
Have been an R3 owner for over a year but have had most of my questions answered without having to ask any of my own. But now I'm absolutely stumped with this dang clicking on start u .
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason when I will get the click. Sometimes when it's cold. Sometimes when it's hot. Sometimes it will start after 3 or 4 clicks and sometimes 30 or 40. The headlight goes out ever time I push the starter button. Clutch switch is working because I can hold the start button in and slowly pull the clutch in and can hear the click when it makes contact. Click is coming from the actual starter.
The one with the issue is the 2006 maroon tribal. So far I have swapped over the starter, battery, starter relay from the black one. The black one has shown no issues with all my parts on it. I have also added a second grounding cable. I have pulled the starter switch apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner and q-tips.
What am I missing? Absolutely pulling my hair out trying to trace this down. I'm currently in Kissimmee Florida for a 10 week job and have the 2 Rockets, the Sprint ST, and the wife's America down here. Anyone have a clue at all what to check next?

20200205_084747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Nutcase and welcome from Virginia. I first thought you meant a social click but I see now it is more.

Your click is most likely either not enough electricity flowing (you mentioned adding the second negative cable already) or the starter itself maybe. I ride year round and winter is the hardest time for my bike to start as it sleeps outside. I upgraded the starter to one from Toyota/Lexus and solved many of my starting issues. Post #155 on this thread shows it: Inexpensive Starter Replacement

I hope this helps

I switched out to the Totota motor first and didn't change anything. That's when I swapped complete starters between the bike's. Still have issues. Black bike starts fine every time with my starter in it. Purchased new starter relay and no change. Took relay from black bike and swapped to red bike next. Again, black bike starts fine with all my parts on it and red bike still gets random click. Pulled apart every connection I could get to and applied dialectic grease.
Temperature seems to have nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's the 1st start of the day and other times its after I stop for gas while fully warm. Have tried putting bike in gear and rocking back and forth and that also doesn't seem to make a difference. Normally I'm pretty good and tracking down issues but this has me really stumped.

i would take a volt meter attach neg to eng block near starter and pos lead to starter solenoid terminal
then read volts when it clicks.
if it drops below 10 volts then u have low voltage and the starter relay will disengage. u can also tell if the starter relay is engaging and disengaging by having your fingers on it.
now if u read a solid 12 volts and up and it stays that way then u have a starter.
just thought of this you said that the light goes out when u hit the starter the question is does it come back on after it clicks?

Back